Forum: Ruby pre-newbie question

Martin R. (Guest)
I want to add Sketchup features, a product that has an API only for
Ruby, so I've decided that Ruby is the right choice. I've Googled up
lists of tutorials, tried a few. Any recommendations? (I'm an
experienced OO programmer.)

Thanks in advance.
Phlip (Guest)
Martin R. wrote:
> I want to add Sketchup features, a product that has an API only for
> Ruby, so I've decided that Ruby is the right choice. I've Googled up
> lists of tutorials, tried a few. Any recommendations? (I'm an
> experienced OO programmer.)

What is the question?

Yes, Ruby and Sketchup would be a blast; I can't wait to try it myself.

Here's some Ruby to keep you interested:

   http://flea.sourceforge.net/
Martin R. (Guest)
On Mar 5, 2:45 pm, Phlip <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:

> What is the question?

What tutorial or book or ??? is best for learning Ruby?

Great link!
Todd B. (Guest)
On Thu, Mar 5, 2009 at 2:33 PM, Martin R.
> On Mar 5, 2:45 pm, Phlip <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
>
>> What is the question?
>
> What tutorial or book or ??? is best for learning Ruby?

http://code.google.com/apis/sketchup/

The best learning resource sort of depends on where you are coming
from and your programming style.  I'm sort of a resource manual type
of person instead of a tutorial person, for example.

Todd
Brian C. (Guest)
on 2009-03-05 23:54
Martin R. wrote:
> I want to add Sketchup features, a product that has an API only for
> Ruby, so I've decided that Ruby is the right choice. I've Googled up
> lists of tutorials, tried a few. Any recommendations? (I'm an
> experienced OO programmer.)

http://www.ruby-doc.org/docs/ProgrammingRuby/
David M. (Guest)
Martin R. wrote:
> On Mar 5, 2:45 pm, Phlip <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
>

>> What is the question?
>>

> What tutorial or book or ??? is best for learning Ruby?

I always preferred Try Ruby as the quickest way to jump in:

http://tryruby.hobi.com/

Of course, it's a little bit outdated, especially the download links it
has at the end. But it's still absolutely genius.

After that, I couldn't say. Someone else will probably suggest a book,
and that's good, too. I would say, Google is your friend -- it doesn't
take any longer to do this

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=ruby+tutorial
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=ruby+book

than it does to ask us.
Martin R. (Guest)
On Mar 5, 5:56 pm, David M. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:

> I always preferred Try Ruby as the quickest way to jump in:
>
> http://tryruby.hobi.com/

Thanks! (Make that "hobix", Google tells me.)

Google lacks the "don't just list them, rank them by quality" feature.
Heesob P. (Guest)
2009/3/6 Martin R. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>:

You can also try your code at http://codepad.org/?lang=Ruby

Regards,