Forum: Ruby on Rails Connection Pooling on Rails 2.2.2 (Windows Vista)

syuji (Guest)

I'm trying to setup rails 2.2.2 pool connections to MySQL by
specifying the pool setting with 5 in database.yml but no hope.. It
doesn't work.
My rails is running on webrick in the production mode and the webrick
is launched by RadRails.

Even though I send multiple requests to my app on rails at the same
time, it seemed only one connection is shared ( pooled ).
I also checked on MySQL with the command "show processlist"  but only
one connection was shown.

Do I have to do something ?? or Rails on Windows cannot make multiple
connections ??

thanks.

syuji
Conrad T. (Guest)
On Thu, Mar 5, 2009 at 3:23 AM, syuji <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>
wrote:

> time, it seemed only one connection is shared ( pooled ).
> I also checked on MySQL with the command "show processlist"  but only
> one connection was shown.
>
> Do I have to do something ?? or Rails on Windows cannot make multiple
> connections ??
>
> thanks.
>
> syuji

What does you database.yml look like?  Are you seeing any error messages
in
the logs?

-Conrad
syuji kaneko (Guest)
Hi, Conrad

Thank you for the reply.

Here is my database.yml
production:
  adapter: mysql
  host: localhost
  port: 3306
  pool: 5
  encoding: utf8
  username: testuser
  password: testpassword
  database: my_sample_app_production

I don't see any errors in the logs.
I get proper responses from MySQL but my problem is that Rails doesn't
pool
*multiple* connections.

I forgot to mention the version of Ruby I'm using. It's 1.8.7.
Is there any way to check how many connections are in pool ???
As I said earlier, I've checked with a "show processlist" command in
MySQL
console but I'm not sure that's the best way or not.

Thanks in advance.

syuji
Chris K. (Guest)
In order to take advantage of connection pooling, you need an adapter
that
supports multithreading.  The basic MySQL adapter doesn't do that.

Check out http://github.com/methodmissing/mysqlplus_adapter/...
for
a pretty detailed walkthrough to set this up.