Forum: Ruby on Rails Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket...

Chris O. (Guest)
on 2009-03-05 03:05
I just did an unwanted mysql upgrade and am now unable to start the
mysql service.

After doing some searching the common solution is to just create a
symlink
   ln -s /var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock /tmp/mysql.sock

The issue for me is I don't have the file I am trying to symlink to
(/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock)

If I try to start mysql manually (mysql start) I get the error:
# mysql start
ERROR 2002 (HY000): Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket
'/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock' (2)

Thanks for any help.
Conrad T. (Guest)
On Wed, Mar 4, 2009 at 5:05 PM, Chris O. <

> If I try to start mysql manually (mysql start) I get the error:
> # mysql start
> ERROR 2002 (HY000): Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket
> '/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock' (2)

Hi, are you 100% sure that you need the location of this .sock file?  If
you
do, then generate another Rails project and take a look at the
database.yml
file.

Good luck,

-Conrad
Chris O. (Guest)
on 2009-03-05 03:35
After running the proper command /etc/init.d/mysql start it then
informed me that a log expiry must be set for the current configuration.

It is a little odd that the default configurations don't work, but it is
working for me now so I am happy.