Forum: Ruby on Rails hard coded drop down menu help

Jimmy P. (Guest)
on 2009-03-04 23:57
I currently have a drop down menu selection in an input form with
hardcoded values, the problem I'm having is I want to use multiple word
entries that users can select from, is there anyway of doing that?

here is my code as it exists now

<%= f.label :category, "Category" %><br />
<%= select 'article', 'category', %w(Cooperation
EnvironmentalSustainability BusinessDevelopment Transportation
Streetscape DenseMixedUse) %>

obviously I need some of these to be two words as one entry instead of
being multiple entries

please help!
Rob B. (Guest)
On Mar 4, 2009, at 4:57 PM, Jimmy P. wrote:
> Streetscape DenseMixedUse) %>
>

> obviously I need some of these to be two words as one entry instead of
> being multiple entries
>
> please help!

Just skip the shorthand:

['Cooperation', 'Environmental Sustainability', 'Business Development',
  'Transportation', 'Streetscape', 'Dense Mixed Use' ]

Even better might be a model to return the choices.

class Category
   def self.choices_for_select
     ['Cooperation', 'Environmental Sustainability', 'Business
Development',
      'Transportation', 'Streetscape', 'Dense Mixed Use' ]

<%= select 'article', 'category', Category.choices_for_select %>

-Rob

Rob B.    http://agileconsultingllc.com
removed_email_address@domain.invalid
Robert W. (Guest)
on 2009-03-05 00:36
Rob B. wrote:
> Just skip the shorthand:

It should also work by escaping the spaces:
%w{Cooperation
Environmental\ Sustainability Business\ Development Transportation
Streetscape Dense\ Mixed\ Use}

Note: noticed the curly braces %w{list of words}
Jimmy P. (Guest)
on 2009-03-05 02:14
thanks guys, that was perfect