Forum: Ruby on Rails Compatible Packages

Rob R. (Guest)
I'm interested in using ActiveRecord (AR) to build an API to a
glorified file catalogue with ~35 million and counting entries.  It's
really an MD5sum catalogue with extra information granules about each
file to support web services like interaction.  Firstly, I'm not a
computer scientist; just a hacking physicist with a little OOP
experience.  In addition to AR for ORM, I'm planning to use MySQL
partition tables of type InnoDB.

In a private email, David H. said this combination looks compatible:
Ruby 1.8.6 or 1.8.7, AR and AS 2.2.2, MySQL 2.7 and MySQL Server
5.1.x.  I'm trying not to bother David directly, for this related
question.

The problem is that our admins will not install Ruby 1.8.6 or AR/AS
2.2.2, instead I'm allowed to have these versions "managed" by the
RedHat package manager: Ruby 1.8.5, AR/AS 2.1.1.

I plan to take advantage of simple implementations of these built in
technologies: transactions, callback macros, validation, association,
aggregation, etc

Are there any obvious problems with my setup?

Thanks!
Frederick C. (Guest)
On Mar 2, 6:46 pm, RobR <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
> 5.1.x.  I'm trying not to bother David directly, for this related
> question.
>
> The problem is that our admins will not install Ruby 1.8.6 or AR/AS
> 2.2.2, instead I'm allowed to have these versions "managed" by the
> RedHat package manager: Ruby 1.8.5, AR/AS 2.1.1.
>
> I plan to take advantage of simple implementations of these built in
> technologies: transactions, callback macros, validation, association,
> aggregation, etc

All of these have been in Rails for ages, rails 2.2 was only out  in
december and clearly people were coping before then :-)

Fred
Rob R. (Guest)
Thanks Fred!

My enormous single table DB crashed this morning and I imagine that
"repair table ..." is never going to finish.  It's time to get this
redesign rolling.
Can you point me towards any simple schema but rather large in rows
solutions with MySQL/Partition Tables/AR-AS?
I need to store 65M rows now with a growth rate of ~20M/year.  The new
additions are received rather uniformly over the year.

I'm going to post a larger more informative version of my new
questions in a minute for others to see and perhaps make suggestions.

Thank you!

Rob

On Mar 2, 3:55 pm, Frederick C. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>