Forum: Ruby on Rails new project at the same domain

Petan C. (Guest)

just a quick question, is there a way how to run two apps on the same
domain?
Both for testing purposes. Thank you.

P.
Phlip (Guest)
Petan C. wrote:

> just a quick question, is there a way how to run two apps on the same
> domain?
> Both for testing purposes. Thank you.

Yes but you most likely want a subdomain:

   http://www.zeroplayer.com/
   http://zeekland.zeroplayer.com/

My servers give me a different Apache configuration, and different
application
folder, for the zeekland. subdomain. Your ISP probably has a control
panel for
you to add a subdomain, configure its folder, and link it to Apache.

(www is also technically a subdomain, but it's also just an alias for
zeroplayer.com.)

--
   Phlip
Bob M. (Guest)

app1.mydomain.com
app2.mydomain.com

or

mydomain.com/app1
mydomain.com/app2

Which one?

On Mar 2, 9:31 am, Petan C. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>
Petan C. (Guest)
on 2009-03-02 18:49
> app1.mydomain.com
> app2.mydomain.com
>
> or
>
> mydomain.com/app1
> mydomain.com/app2
>
> Which one?

I've just contacted my ISP and my hosting doesn't support running
multiple applications :( Thanks for your replay.

I cant deploy more than one app. :(

P.
Bob M. (Guest)
I would honestly think about just getting an inexpensive VPS solution
from someone like Slicehost. You'll learn a ton more about how Rails
works and the fun of deployment and configuration that way.

Plus, it is fun to do sysadmin stuff. :)

On Mar 2, 10:49 am, Petan C. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>
Robby R. (Guest)
On Mon, Mar 2, 2009 at 8:49 AM, Petan C.
<removed_email_address@domain.invalid
> wrote:

> I've just contacted my ISP and my hosting doesn't support running
> multiple applications :( Thanks for your replay.
>
> I cant deploy more than one app. :(

That sounds like a situation where you'd want to consider a new home.
Check
us out at http://railsboxcar.com/ if you're interested in an
pre-configured
and easy-to-deploy hosting solution for your Ruby on Rails applications.

Cheers,
Robby

--
Robby R.
Chief Evangelist, Partner

PLANET ARGON, LLC
design // development // hosting w/Ruby on Rails

http://planetargon.com/
http://robbyonrails.com/
http://twitter.com/planetargon
aim: planetargon