Forum: Typo Typo and feedburner

Harry S. (Guest)
on 2009-03-01 00:02
Hey (again) guys,
If you have a look at this post (1) about Rails heroes RSS feeds you
will see that they all use feedburners. My question is how to use
feedburner with Typo?
For instance how to change the feed address that appears when clicking
on the RSS logo in firefox url bar (or its equivalent in Safari)?
How to change the address appearing in the syndication sidebar?

Thx
Cyril M. (Guest)
Harry S. a écrit :
> Hey (again) guys,
> If you have a look at this post (1) about Rails heroes RSS feeds you
> will see that they all use feedburners. My question is how to use
> feedburner with Typo?
> For instance how to change the feed address that appears when clicking
> on the RSS logo in firefox url bar (or its equivalent in Safari)?
> How to change the address appearing in the syndication sidebar?

I use a rewrite url in my nginx configuration to redirect to feedburner.
Harry S. (Guest)
on 2009-03-01 15:53
Cyril M. wrote:
> Harry S. a �crit :
>> Hey (again) guys,
>> If you have a look at this post (1) about Rails heroes RSS feeds you
>> will see that they all use feedburners. My question is how to use
>> feedburner with Typo?
>> For instance how to change the feed address that appears when clicking
>> on the RSS logo in firefox url bar (or its equivalent in Safari)?
>> How to change the address appearing in the syndication sidebar?
>>

> I use a rewrite url in my nginx configuration to redirect to feedburner.

Thx Cyril,
Heu, never heard about nginx I am on a shared host. Isn't there a
solution using Typo? As it is really standard nowadays to use
feedburner, a simple solution would be appreciated.

Btw the (1) was for
http://harryseldon.thinkosphere.com/2009/02/03/rea... .

Cyril M. (Guest)
Harry S. a écrit :
>>> How to change the address appearing in the syndication sidebar?
> Btw the (1) was for
> http://harryseldon.thinkosphere.com/2009/02/03/rea... .

If you want redirect to feedburner, you need Hack typo code.

In your app/controller/articles_controller.rb, in block format.rss {}

You need check if user-agent is feedburner or not. If not feedburner,
you need redirect to feedburner feed. Instead of you need render
partial.

A little hack (not tested is)

format.rss
{
        if request.env["HTTP_USER_AGENT"][/Feedburner/]
            render :partial => 'articles/rss20_feed', :object =>
@article.published_feedback
       else
          redirect_to 'http://feeds2.feedburner.com/ProgDreamShiny'
      end
}

Maybe a feature request to define that in a plugin is a good thing.

--
Cyril M.
de Villamil Frédéric (Guest)
Le 1 mars 09 à 15:53, Cyril M. a écrit :

>> solution using Typo? As it is really standard nowadays to use
> You need check if user-agent is feedburner or not. If not
>      else
>         redirect_to 'http://feeds2.feedburner.com/ProgDreamShiny'
>     end
> }
>
> Maybe a feature request to define that in a plugin is a good thing.

I've been willing to do this for a while now.
I've opened a feature ticket on Lighthouse :
http://fdv.lighthouseapp.com/projects/11171-typo-b...

This will be included in the nex release.
Cheers,
Frédéric
de Villamil Frédéric (Guest)
Le 1 mars 09 à 16:53, de Villamil Frédéric a écrit :

>>  request.env["HTTP_USER_AGENT"][/Feedburner/]
> I've been willing to do this for a while now.
> I've opened a feature ticket on Lighthouse :
http://fdv.lighthouseapp.com/projects/11171-typo-b...

> This will be included in the nex release.
> Cheers,
> Frédéric

I had 5 minutes to kill, so if you're following edge, maybe you'll be
interested by
http://github.com/fdv/typo/commit/58fc900d97faa0c3...

Frederic
Harry S. (Guest)
on 2009-03-01 22:16
Cool! Thx!

I have updated to edge (on dev env). I have entered my feedburner pseudo
in Settings/Read/Feedburner ID. But when I return to the home page the
syndicate sidebar it is still the same. Idem for the RSS logo.
I swept the cache.
What am I missing?
Harry S. (Guest)
on 2009-03-01 22:20
Hum never mind, I had not clicked on it (just looked the url in FF
status bar). But when I click on it goes well.
Thx a lot.
Harry S. (Guest)
on 2009-03-01 23:39
Subsidiary question: what about the comment feed?
Thx

Harry S. wrote:
> Hum never mind, I had not clicked on it (just looked the url in FF
> status bar). But when I click on it goes well.
> Thx a lot.
Mike M. (Guest)
On Sat, Feb 28, 2009 at 2:02 PM, Harry S.
> --

This is what I do to redirect everyone to FeedBurner in my Apache
VirtualHost for Typo.  Only FeedBurner itself is allowed to get the
feed directly.  You won't have to hack Typo itself.

  RewriteEngine On
  # 302 temporary, 301 permanent
  RewriteCond %{HTTP_USER_AGENT}  !^FeedBurner/.*
  RewriteRule ^/xml/rss20/feed.xml$
http://feeds.feedburner.com/mondragon/PQVR [R=302,L]
  RewriteRule ^/xml/atom/feed.xml$
http://feeds.feedburner.com/mondragon/PQVR [R=302,L]

Here's the Apache docs for mod_rewrite
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/mod/mod_rewrite.html

--
Mike M.
Work> http://sas.quat.ch/
Le 5 mars 09 à 04:38, Mike M. a écrit :

> http://feeds.feedburner.com/mondragon/PQVR [R=302,L]
>
> Here's the Apache docs for mod_rewrite
> http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/mod/mod_rewrite.html

Hello Mike,

Feedburner support has been added to Typo edge a few days ago with
proper redirection directly in your blog, to avoid server specific
redirections.

Regards,
Frédéric
--
Frédéric de Villamil
"What's mine is mine. What's yours is still unsetteled" – Go player

For info, I got some troubles with my Typo feed after activating the
Typo redirection to feedburner.
Basically feedburner was complaining about a non valid feed.
I do not have much clue about what was going on.
I am afraid there was some infinite loop like: FB needs the feed address
(http://harryseldon.thinkosphere.com/articles.rss) but this address
redirects to http://feeds2.feedburner.com/harryseldon hence the loop.
I am definitely not sure about that. So I mention it in case some other
people encounter this problem.

Here is the FB error:
PROBLEM: FeedMedic Alert for http://feeds2.feedburner.com/harryseldon
08.03.2009 18:24
FeedBurner had trouble retrieving your Source Feed:
http://harryseldon.thinkosphere.com/articles.rss
The error message is:
     Error getting URL: 500 - Internal Server Error
Actions you can take:
Validate your Source Feed with Feed Validator. This service provides
additional detail about the problem, and how to repair it.
Resync your FeedBurner feed once you have repaired the source feed.
Contact FeedBurner for help with your feed if all else fails.

Cyril M. (Guest)
Harry S. a écrit :
> people encounter this problem.
> additional detail about the problem, and how to repair it.
> Resync your FeedBurner feed once you have repaired the source feed.
> Contact FeedBurner for help with your feed if all else fails.

In your production.log can you see some error about article.rss action ?

--
Cyril M.
http://blog.shingara.fr