Forum: Ruby on Rails ssl certificate

Ashik A. (Guest)
on 2009-02-28 17:28

Can anyone tell me which is best  either  self-signed or VeriSign
certificate ?

cheers,
ashikali
Conrad T. (Guest)
On Sat, Feb 28, 2009 at 7:28 AM, Ashikali A. <

> Can anyone tell me which is best  either  self-signed or VeriSign
> certificate ?
>
> cheers,
> ashikali

Hi, can you please explain what you're trying to do?

-Conrad
Ashik A. (Guest)
on 2009-02-28 17:56
Conrad T. wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 28, 2009 at 7:28 AM, Ashikali A. <
> removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
>

>> Can anyone tell me which is best  either  self-signed or VeriSign
>> certificate ?
>>
>> cheers,
>> ashikali
>

> Hi, can you please explain what you're trying to do?
>
> -Conrad
I am going to create https enabled website . Obviously we need ssl
certificate to configure https in appache . I refer following links
instructions .

https://help.ubuntu.com/6.06/ubuntu/serverguide/C/httpd.html

Finally as per the guides in above link . I have configured https
successfully .

I think above link is more than enough to understand my problem .

cheers,
ashikali
Hassan S. (Guest)
On Sat, Feb 28, 2009 at 7:28 AM, Ashikali A.

> Can anyone tell me which is best  either  self-signed or VeriSign
> certificate ?

No. Or to put it another way -- "best" in what sense?

A self-signed cert will cause most browsers to present users with an
ominous-sounding warning, but it doesn't cost anything. Maybe that
isn't a problem for your user base, maybe it is.

A cert from a recognized Certificate Authority will not prompt those
warnings, but it costs money. Verisign is only one CA, BTW, so you
might look at others to compare pricing.

FWIW,
Ashik A. (Guest)
on 2009-02-28 18:39
Hassan S. wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 28, 2009 at 7:28 AM, Ashikali A.
>
>> Can anyone tell me which is best �either �self-signed or VeriSign
>> certificate ?
>
> No. Or to put it another way -- "best" in what sense?
>
> A self-signed cert will cause most browsers to present users with an
> ominous-sounding warning, but it doesn't cost anything. Maybe that
> isn't a problem for your user base, maybe it is.
>
> A cert from a recognized Certificate Authority will not prompt those
> warnings, but it costs money. Verisign is only one CA, BTW, so you
> might look at others to compare pricing.
>
> FWIW,
> --
> Hassan S. ------------------------ removed_email_address@domain.invalid

Actually the case is , my client will not interact with webserver using
browser . They will send https request via  programming languages like
ruby , c sharp ..etc  . Here do I need any third party certificates for
security ? .

cheers ,
ashikali

Mr. Hassan where are you from ?
Hassan S. (Guest)
On Sat, Feb 28, 2009 at 8:39 AM, Ashikali A.

> Actually the case is , my client will not interact with webserver using
> browser . They will send https request via  programming languages like
> ruby , c sharp ..etc  . Here do I need any third party certificates for
> security ? .

A self-signed cert will be fine then, as long as the client gets a copy
so it recognizes it as trusted. Obviously the details of that depend
on the client implementation.

> Mr. Hassan where are you from ?

San Jose CA  :-)

HTH,
Neeraj (Guest)

Please explain , what you trying to say ?