Forum: Ruby RMagick

Ron G. (Guest)
I installed the ImageMagick binary but when I try to install RMagick
(gem) I get the foloowing error-
/usr/local/bin/ruby extconf.rb install rmagick
checking for Ruby version >= 1.8.2... yes
checking for gcc... yes
checking for Magick-config... no
Can't install RMagick 2.9.1. Can't find Magick-config in /usr/local/
bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:/usr/
X11/bin:/usr/local/git/bin

*** extconf.rb failed ***
necessary libraries and/or headers.  Check the mkmf.log file for more
details.  You may need configuration options.

What do I need to do?
Torey H. (Guest)
on 2009-04-27 20:10
Ron G. wrote:
> I installed the ImageMagick binary but when I try to install RMagick
> (gem) I get the foloowing error-
> /usr/local/bin/ruby extconf.rb install rmagick
> checking for Ruby version >= 1.8.2... yes
> checking for gcc... yes
> checking for Magick-config... no
> Can't install RMagick 2.9.1. Can't find Magick-config in /usr/local/
> bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:/usr/
> X11/bin:/usr/local/git/bin
>
> *** extconf.rb failed ***
> Could not create Makefile due to some reason, probably lack of
> necessary libraries and/or headers.  Check the mkmf.log file for more
> details.  You may need configuration options.
>
> What do I need to do?

I Ran into some problems with Rmagick after upgrading to Ubuntu 9.04. I
tried to fix by reinstalling the Rmagick Gem, got the same error as
above.  I ended up installing librmagick-ruby and friends, this fixed my
Rmagick problem,,but I still can install as gem, which would be my
prefferance.

I post here if I find solution.
Serabe (Guest)
2009/4/27 Torey H. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>:
> I Ran into some problems with Rmagick after upgrading to Ubuntu 9.04. I
> tried to fix by reinstalling the Rmagick Gem, got the same error as
> above.  I ended up installing librmagick-ruby and friends, this fixed my
> Rmagick problem,,but I still can install as gem, which would be my
> prefferance.
>
> I post here if I find solution.

Did you install libmagick*-dev?

Cheers,

Serabe
Torey H. (Guest)
on 2009-04-27 23:25
Serabe wrote:
> 2009/4/27 Torey H. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>:
>> I Ran into some problems with Rmagick after upgrading to Ubuntu 9.04. I
>> tried to fix by reinstalling the Rmagick Gem, got the same error as
>> above. �I ended up installing librmagick-ruby and friends, this fixed my
>> Rmagick problem,,but I still can install as gem, which would be my
>> prefferance.
>>
>> I post here if I find solution.
>
> Did you install libmagick*-dev?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Serabe

I just checked and I do not have them installed, even though I thought I
did.  After installing libmagick*-dev, I was able to install the rmagick
gem.

Thanks,
Torey