Forum: Ruby possibly a stupid question: How do I read / write to a NAS filesystem

Rick M. (Guest)
I have a cheapo WD WorldBook NAS that I would like to access from a
Ruby application. This may actually be more about how to properly
mount the NAS so I can access it but I thought I would start here. I
am running Ubutu and when I browse the NAS I see a path
smb://mybookworld/public/
but Dir.entries("smb://mybookworld/public/") doesn't work or any other
form I could dream up.
Dylan E. (Guest)
You will need to mount the NAS drive, after which you will be able to
access
it as part of your file system. When you browse the drive the the file
manager interprets the uri to access the NAS, when you open it Dir is
expecting a regular filepath. Try something along the lines of;
mount -t smbfs //myworldbook/public /mnt/
and
Dir.entries("/mnt/")

But this is just a guess since i don't use samba
Michal S. (Guest)
2009/2/26 Dylan E. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>:
> You will need to mount the NAS drive, after which you will be able to access
> it as part of your file system. When you browse the drive the the file
> manager interprets the uri to access the NAS, when you open it Dir is
> expecting a regular filepath. Try something along the lines of;
> mount -t smbfs //myworldbook/public /mnt/
> and
> Dir.entries("/mnt/")

Alternatively, you can use smbclient to access the NAS without mounting.

HTH

Michal
Dylan E. (Guest)
On Thu, Feb 26, 2009 at 9:05 PM, Michal S.

> Alternatively, you can use smbclient to access the NAS without mounting.

I don't understand how you would do this? Do you mean by using smbclient
fetch resources or is there some other usage from ruby i'm not aware of?