Forum: JRuby Re: Re: rake db:migrate script in Jruby

Jay McGaffigan (Guest)

<link media="all" type="text/css"
href="/webmail/static/deg/css/wysiwyg-3933289048.css" rel="stylesheet">
</head><body>
We have multiple rails apps that share teh models directory (sym
links).<br><br>Our strategy was : Create on migration that build all the
tables before we deployed.<br>Once we deployed (which we now are)
manual mysql scripts to do the migration (after extensive testing of
href="mailto:removed_email_address@domain.invalid" class="parsedEmail"
target="_blank">removed_email_address@domain.invalid</a> wrote:<br><blockquote
style="border-left: 3px solid rgb(102, 153, 204);">I'm manually running
the SQL. Kind of sucks but I don't make that many<br>schema
changes.<br><br>What's the ideal solution? HTTP action? A remote
href="mailto:removed_email_address@domain.invalid" target="_blank"
class="parsedEmail
Adam,<br>&gt;
month:<br>&gt; <br>&gt;     <a
href="http://www.ruby-forum.com/topic/177738" class="parsedLink"
target="_blank">http://www.ruby-forum.com/topic/177738</a><br>&gt;...
confusion<br>&gt; when I was deploying a JRuby/Rails app, it would be
cool if there was<br>&gt; some official guidance on the Wiki or
something about the "right" way to<br>&gt; deploy on app servers where
you have minimal control.<br>&gt; <br>&gt; In my case, I just ended up
installing JRuby on the server. This was<br>&gt; over the phone with an
admin because the server was remote and behind a<br>&gt; firewall. It
felt like a pretty kludgy solution and definitely didn't<br>&gt; help me
look like I knew what I was doing, which I didn't. :)<br>&gt; <br>&gt;
JRuby/Rails<br>&gt;&gt; application.  We use warble to deploy wars into
tomcat on our app<br>&gt;&gt; servers.  Since we wont have a local copy
of Jruby on the app servers<br>&gt;&gt; is there an easy way to run a
rake db:migrate as part of the<br>&gt;&gt; deployment process?  It would
be easiest if we can run this as a jar<br>&gt;&gt; file somehow but
wasnt sure what other people are doing here.<br>&gt;&gt; <br>&gt;&gt;

is there a way to turn the rake db:migrate into a text output of mysql
command to capture in a deploy script ?

On Wed, Feb 25, 2009 at 8:42 PM, Jay McGaffigan

> On 2/25/09 5:01 PM, "Dave Ray" <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
>> deploy on app servers where you have minimal control.

we've struggled the same problem in Virgo, and I've come up with a
solution.
Check out http://github.com/virgo/jrecipes/tree/master It has no
documentation yet, so here's the deploy script I use with it:
http://pastie.org/400758 This has some additional goodness for copying
static files over and linking shared directories.

JRecipes introduces a new deploy strategy :war_file which builds a war
from
your application locally and puts it into your release_path. For
application
server it supports tomcat and takes care of restarting it and copying
your
war file into the webapps directory. I would welcome if someone with
experience with other app servers forked the project and implemented
support
for that.

Cheers,
LacKac