Forum: Ruby on Rails Error accessing db through model - Rails 2.2.2, MySql 5.1.30

Sj T. (Guest)
on 2009-02-26 01:42
Folks,

I just installed Rails 2.2.2 on my box and MySql 5.1.30. Running a
simple <Model>.find(:all) gives me a bunch of errors - snippet below.
The only answer I have found in searching around is to go back to an
older version of MySql. Is there any way to fix this or do I really have
to revert the MySql version?

>> Meal.find(:all)
ArgumentError: NULL pointer given
        from (eval):3:in `each_hash'
        from (eval):3:in `all_hashes'
        from
C:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-2.2.2/lib/active_record
/connection_adapters/mysql_adapter.rb:564:in `select'
        from
C:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-2.2.2/lib/active_record
/connection_adapters/abstract/database_statements.rb:7:in
`select_all_without_qu
ery_cache'

Thanks for your help.

-S
Jeff E. (Guest)
Have you created the database and migrated?
Sj T. (Guest)
on 2009-02-26 08:04
Jeff Emminger wrote:
> Have you created the database and migrated?

Yes Jeff, I have been able to create a database and run db:migrate
successfully. I can see the tables in db and can also run direct sql
queries successfully.

Forgot to add to my initial post - I am on Win XP.
Rick (Guest)
Is it possible that you need to re-install the mysql gem?  I think you
said you upgraded MySQL but you didn't say from what version.  I know
the mysql gem includes a C component that hooks in to the MySQL
library, this might be the source of your problem.
Sj T. (Guest)
on 2009-02-26 16:39
Rick wrote:
> Is it possible that you need to re-install the mysql gem?  I think you
> said you upgraded MySQL but you didn't say from what version.  I know
> the mysql gem includes a C component that hooks in to the MySQL
> library, this might be the source of your problem.

Thanks Rick. I reinstalled the MySql gem before the initial post. That
gem installation was causing errors with RDoc installation (as reported
by others as well) so I installed it with "gem install mysql --no-ri
--no-rdoc".

When you google the error I am getting, it has been reported by other
folks too so it seems like something related to how Rails 2.2.2 and
MySql 5.1.30 interact. The only solution I have found others suggest is
to install an older version of MySql 5.1.30. BTW - I didn't have an
older version installed. I am starting with MySql 5.1.30
Sj T. (Guest)
on 2009-02-27 01:29
Sj Tib wrote:
> Rick wrote:
>> Is it possible that you need to re-install the mysql gem?  I think you
>> said you upgraded MySQL but you didn't say from what version.  I know
>> the mysql gem includes a C component that hooks in to the MySQL
>> library, this might be the source of your problem.
>
> Thanks Rick. I reinstalled the MySql gem before the initial post. That
> gem installation was causing errors with RDoc installation (as reported
> by others as well) so I installed it with "gem install mysql --no-ri
> --no-rdoc".
>
> When you google the error I am getting, it has been reported by other
> folks too so it seems like something related to how Rails 2.2.2 and
> MySql 5.1.30 interact. The only solution I have found others suggest is
> to install an older version of MySql 5.1.30. BTW - I didn't have an
> older version installed. I am starting with MySql 5.1.30

I installed an older version of MySql (5.0.77) and it works like a
charm. Not sure what is the issue with Rails 2.2.2 and MySql 5.1.30.