Forum: Ruby Religious discussion

Julian L. (Guest)
Hi all. I've thought quite a long time bout this, and I hope this is a
good way to proceed. Please let us any any present flame wars about
religion on this list and simply let them go and keep taking about ruby.

Thanks heaps. If we're going to press reply, I'd recommend we think
about our reply and how it helps the people on the list, and
especially if it's on-topic.

Blog: http://random8.zenunit.com/
Learn rails: http://sensei.zenunit.com/
Kyle S. (Guest)
On Wed, Feb 25, 2009 at 4:19 PM, Julian L.
> Hi all. I've thought quite a long time bout this, and I hope this is a good
> way to proceed. Please let us any any present flame wars about religion on
> this list and simply let them go and keep taking about ruby.
>
> Thanks heaps. If we're going to press reply, I'd recommend we think about
> our reply and how it helps the people on the list, and especially if it's
> on-topic.
>
> Blog: http://random8.zenunit.com/
> Learn rails: http://sensei.zenunit.com/

But if we ignore religious discussions how will be able to debate ruby
vs python, K&R vs ANSI?
OO vs functional?

;)
Vladimir F. (Guest)
On Fri, Feb 27, 2009 at 02:12:26AM +0900, Kyle S. wrote:
> > Learn rails: http://sensei.zenunit.com/
>
> But if we ignore religious discussions how will be able to debate ruby
> vs python, K&R vs ANSI?
> OO vs functional?

maybe he had in mind that it is not appropriate for this mailing list
and
for such high philosophic problems another mailing list should be
created

 :)
pat eyler (Guest)
On Thu, Feb 26, 2009 at 10:12 AM, Kyle S. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>
wrote:
>> Learn rails: http://sensei.zenunit.com/
>
> But if we ignore religious discussions how will be able to debate ruby
> vs python, K&R vs ANSI?
> OO vs functional?

emacs vs vi(m)?
Chad P. (Guest)
On Fri, Feb 27, 2009 at 02:22:39AM +0900, pat eyler wrote:

> emacs vs vi(m)?

Only the emacs side is religious:

  http://www.dina.kvl.dk/~abraham/religion/

The vi side is a gang:

  http://www.homebrew.net/visign/

/me throws the vi gang sign.
pat eyler (Guest)
On Thu, Feb 26, 2009 at 1:32 PM, Chad P. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>
wrote:
>  http://www.homebrew.net/visign/
>
> /me throws the vi gang sign.

and I know that someday you'll repent.

;^)
Chad P. (Guest)
On Fri, Feb 27, 2009 at 05:37:54AM +0900, pat eyler wrote:

> >  http://www.homebrew.net/visign/
> >
> > /me throws the vi gang sign.
>
> and I know that someday you'll repent.

I'm editor-agnostic.  Well, technically, I guess I'm more of an
editor-taoist.  Editaoist?  Anyway, the upshot is that I can see how
your
religious interpretation is a valid perspective on reality, even if it
is
kind of limited.

After all, emacs is a halfway decent OS.  Some people claim it lacks a
decent editor, but I disagree -- Viper is an excellent editor.

What it *does* lack is a decent bootloader.
dustin b (Guest)
On Thu, Feb 26, 2009 at 4:14 PM, Chad P. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>
wrote:

> religious interpretation is a valid perspective on reality, even if it is
> of human intelligence."

I always thought Pico was a great editor.
Also "Git sucks" ...please don't hurt me!! (
http://www.netsplit.com/2009/02/17/git-sucks/)
Joel VanderWerf (Guest)
pat eyler wrote:

>> /me throws the vi gang sign.
>
> and I know that someday you'll repent.

Those of us who have reached nirvana[1] look upon your conflict with
tolerance and hope. ;)

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NEdit
Chad P. (Guest)
On Fri, Feb 27, 2009 at 07:27:13AM +0900, dustin b wrote:

> I always thought Pico was a great editor.
> Also "Git sucks" ...please don't hurt me!! (
> http://www.netsplit.com/2009/02/17/git-sucks/)

Ugh.  Pico?  Seriously?

It's passable.

Thanks for the Git link.  It was an interesting read.
Chad P. (Guest)
On Fri, Feb 27, 2009 at 08:49:42AM +0900, Joel VanderWerf wrote:

> Those of us who have reached nirvana[1] look upon your conflict with
> tolerance and hope. ;)
>
> [1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NEdit

I'm willing to be convinced, if there's reason for it.  What's so great
about NEdit?
Tom C. (Guest)
Chad P. wrote:

Suggest you don't bother. I've looked at a great many editors, and tried
many of them. None have bested jEdit

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JEdit

http://www.jedit.org/

It's flexibility, ease of use, vast world of adaptive plugins simply
beats out the competition.

I do all my ruby editing in it, runnng ruby scripts in the console tab,
if desired.

Currently I have have 4 separate jEdit windows open, each with a
different cluster of files visible (although all are accessible from
each instance). When I want to, I can edit, and even play, my Lilypond
music score scripts in jEdit (really, really cool). I would jump to
another editor in a flash if I ever saw one better, but it simply hasn't
happened.

jEdit is a java program, and runs anywhere. I'm running mine on Kubuntu
Linux 8.10

Enjoy...

Tom

Tom C., MS MA, LMHC - Private practice Psychotherapist
Bellingham, Washington, U.S.A: (360) 920-1226
<< removed_email_address@domain.invalid >> (email)
<< TomCloyd.com >> (website)
On Fri, Mar 06, 2009 at 09:24:08AM +0900, Tom C. wrote:

> Suggest you don't bother. I've looked at a great many editors, and tried
> many of them. None have bested jEdit
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JEdit
>
> http://www.jedit.org/

    Written in Java, so it runs on Mac OS X, OS/2, Unix, VMS and
    Windows.

That's a nonstarter for me.  It requires a JVM to be installed anywhere
use it, and sometimes that's just not reasonable -- i.e., installing and
maintaining a Java runtime on FreeBSD is a severe pain in the tuckus.