Forum: Ruby on Rails Cannot pass id field to ActiveRecord

Valentino L. (Guest)
on 2009-02-24 16:00
Dear all

I have a dummy question. The model code as follow:

class User < ActiveRecord::Base
  set_primary_key "username"
end

In script/console

user = {:username => "123", :display_name => "345"}
=> {:username=>"123", :display_name=>"345"}

a = User.new(user)
=> #<User username: nil, display_name: "345">

Why the username field is nil instead of "123"? I also tried
{:id=>"123", :display_name=>"345"}, still not work

But there is no problem when I do the following
a.username = "123" or a.id = "123"
a.save

Please help. Thank you very much.

Valentino
Frederick C. (Guest)
On 24 Feb 2009, at 14:00, Valentino L. wrote:
> But there is no problem when I do the following
> a.username = "123" or a.id = "123"
> a.save
>
> Please help. Thank you very much.

Because the primary key is protected from mass assignment.

Fred
Valentino L. (Guest)
on 2009-02-24 16:13
Frederick C. wrote:
> On 24 Feb 2009, at 14:00, Valentino L. wrote:
>> But there is no problem when I do the following
>> a.username = "123" or a.id = "123"
>> a.save
>>
>> Please help. Thank you very much.
>>
> Because the primary key is protected from mass assignment.
>
> Fred

Thank you for your reply

Is that the only way to insert record like this?
a = User.new
a.username = "123"
a.display_name = "456"
a.save
The code is not elegant then.

In this situation, It is not allowed to use the scaffold code in
controller like this? It is not convenient if the primary key is not the
default "id" field.
@user = User.new(params[:user])

Thanks
Valentino
MaD (Guest)
you just have to set the primary key manually.
  @user = User.new(params[:user])
  @user.username = params[:username]
  @user.save

however for security reasons i would not advise to use mass-assignment
for user-creation anyways. there could be stuff like that in there:
  >> params[:user][:is_admin]
  => "1"
Rob B. (Guest)
On Feb 24, 2009, at 9:13 AM, Valentino L. wrote:

> In this situation, It is not allowed to use the scaffold code in
> controller like this? It is not convenient if the primary key is not
> the
> default "id" field.
> @user = User.new(params[:user])
>
> Thanks
> Valentino

No, you can do this:

a = User.new(:display_name => "456") do |u|
       u.id = 123
     end
a.save    # or use .create in the first place rather than .new

However, if you have 'username' as the primary key, I'd strongly
suggest that you reconsider that and follow the more conventional auto-
incrementing integer primary key.  Unless you have to deal with the
structure of a legacy database, you'll save yourself a lot of trouble.

-Rob

Rob B.    http://agileconsultingllc.com
removed_email_address@domain.invalid