Forum: Ruby on Rails Validates

Fresh M. (Guest)
on 2009-02-24 10:56
If I have a table: users(id, name, address, city)

How can I validate:
Name must be entered, but address and city can be null, but if there is
address, there also must be a city. So city can't be null, if address is
not, but bouth address and city can be null.

validates_presence_of name
validates ????
Priya B. (Guest)
on 2009-02-24 11:11
Jo Jo wrote:
> If I have a table: users(id, name, address, city)
>
> How can I validate:
> Name must be entered, but address and city can be null, but if there is
> address, there also must be a city. So city can't be null, if address is
> not, but bouth address and city can be null.
>

> validates_presence_of name
> validates ????

Hi,
    Try with following code.

def validate
   errors.add(:city,"City should not be empty") if city==nil and
address!=nil
end
Maurício L. (Guest)
class User
  validates_presence_of :name
  validates_presence_of :city, :if => :address
  validates_presence_of :address, :if => :city
end

-
Maurício Linhares
(en)