Forum: Ruby on Rails Remove www from url

Dan P. (Guest)
So i have a rails app running in 2.0.2 and I would like to know if
anyone can point me in the right direction on how to remove the www
from the url. so if someone goes to www.mydomain.com it will forward
them to mydomain.com. I am running nginx, and thin, not sure if I do
it in routes, in my nginx config file...? let me know if anyone has
any insight to this. thanks.
Robert W. (Guest)
on 2009-02-24 02:57
Dan P. wrote:
> So i have a rails app running in 2.0.2 and I would like to know if
> anyone can point me in the right direction on how to remove the www
> from the url. so if someone goes to www.mydomain.com it will forward
> them to mydomain.com. I am running nginx, and thin, not sure if I do
> it in routes, in my nginx config file...? let me know if anyone has
> any insight to this. thanks.

AFAIK this is purely a web server/DNS configuration issue and has
nothing to do with Rails.
Sean McGilvray (Guest)
The best way to do this is through a .htaccess file. That will do it
with only 3 or 4 lines of code. A quick google search will get you
what you need.

Sean McGilvray

Sent from my iPhone

On Feb 23, 2009, at 4:57 PM, Robert W.
<removed_email_address@domain.invalid
Robby R. (Guest)
On Mon, Feb 23, 2009 at 2:07 PM, Dan P. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>
wrote:

> So i have a rails app running in 2.0.2 and I would like to know if
> anyone can point me in the right direction on how to remove the www
> from the url. so if someone goes to www.mydomain.com it will forward
> them to mydomain.com. I am running nginx, and thin, not sure if I do
> it in routes, in my nginx config file...? let me know if anyone has
> any insight to this. thanks.

Dan,

For apache:

RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^www\.example\.com$ [NC]
RewriteRule ^(.*)$ http://example.com$1 [R=301,L]

For nginx:

    #rewrites http://www.example.com/foo => http://example.com/foo
    if ($host ~* www\.(.*)) {
      set $host_without_www $1;
      rewrite ^(.*)$ http://$host_without_www$1 permanent; # $1
contains '/foo', not 'www.example.com/foo'
    }

Good luck!

Cheers,
Robby

--
Robby R.
Chief Evangelist, Partner

PLANET ARGON, LLC
design // development // hosting w/Ruby on Rails

http://planetargon.com/
http://robbyonrails.com/
http://twitter.com/planetargon
aim: planetargon

+1 503 445 2457
+1 877 55 ARGON [toll free]
+1 815 642 4068 [fax]
Robby R. (Guest)
On Mon, Feb 23, 2009 at 6:30 PM, Robby R. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>
wrote:

> For apache:

Forgot to mention that RewriteEngine needs to be turned on. Example: :-)

        RewriteEngine On
        RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^www\.planetargon\.com$ [NC]
        RewriteRule ^(.*)$ http://planetargon.com$1 [R=301,L]

>    }

Cheers,
Robby