Forum: Ruby get attributes from database

Hello G. (Guest)
on 2009-02-23 13:26
Hello all,

i have a class Inpatient with his attributes like name, address, etc.

i want to catch the inpatient data from database, how i can do this?

i want add inpatients when i give the name, and so all attributes of
this
inpatient should come from database.

i hope i could define my prolem.

how can i implement this with ruby?

greet
Jesús Gabriel y Galán (Guest)
On Mon, Feb 23, 2009 at 12:26 PM, Hello G.
<removed_email_address@domain.invalid>
wrote:
> i hope i could define my prolem.
>
> how can i implement this with ruby?

What you want is usually called ORM: Object-Relational Mapping, which
is a way to map data from a database into objects in a programming
language. In Ruby there are several implementations, you should check
some of them and choose one that suits your project. The most popular
ones (as perceived by me :-) are ActiveRecord, Sequel and DataMapper.
You can use google to find documentation about those.

Hope this helps,

Jesus.
Hello G. (Guest)
on 2009-02-23 21:04
Jesús Gabriel y Galán wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 23, 2009 at 12:26 PM, Hello G. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>
> wrote:
>> i hope i could define my prolem.
>>
>> how can i implement this with ruby?
>
> What you want is usually called ORM: Object-Relational Mapping, which
> is a way to map data from a database into objects in a programming
> language. In Ruby there are several implementations, you should check
> some of them and choose one that suits your project. The most popular
> ones (as perceived by me :-) are ActiveRecord, Sequel and DataMapper.
> You can use google to find documentation about those.
>
> Hope this helps,
>
> Jesus.

thanks for your answer. i dont know if i have good defined my problem:
i have a separat program which calls inpatient.rb. and here is my class
inpatient, that should take data from database. is the mapping with orm
here right?