Forum: Ruby on Rails Problems installing acts_as_list plugin

Daniel L. (Guest)
on 2009-02-23 11:48
Hi There,

i'm using Ruby 1.8.6 on Rails 2.2.2 on a Mac OSX 10.5.4 and i'm trying
to use acts_as_list in a project.

While testing with rake test:units i got an "[..] `method_missing':
undefined method `acts_as_list' [...]" Error.

After googeling a while i changed into the project directory and tried
ruby script/plugin install
http://dev.rubyonrails.org/browser/plugins/acts_as_list
getting
"Plugin not found:
["http://dev.rubyonrails.org/browser/plugins/acts_as...
as response.
The 2nd time i ran (getting desperate makes you iterate non-successfull
processes ;) the line, i got "already installed: acts_as_list"
When i retry with --force, i get the "not found" message again.

I tried
ruby script/plugin install git://github.com/rails/acts_as_list.git
as well, got no reply, looked like success. But the unit test still
failed. Running the git-install again lead to the "already installed"
message.

I'm a bit confused, asking me (an now you) the following questions:

1.) How do i see which plugins are installed?
2.) Do i have to "activate" an installed plugin within a project
somehow?
3.) Do i install plugins generally or just for the current project i'm
in?
4.) How can i get acts_as_list (and later acts_as_tree) running?

Any Hints are appreciated, Thanx for your help!

D.
Frederick C. (Guest)
On 23 Feb 2009, at 09:48, Daniel L. wrote:

> I tried
> ruby script/plugin install git://github.com/rails/acts_as_list.git
> as well, got no reply, looked like success. But the unit test still
> failed. Running the git-install again lead to the "already installed"
> message.
>
> I'm a bit confused, asking me (an now you) the following questions:
>
> 1.) How do i see which plugins are installed?

See what's in vendor/plugins

> 2.) Do i have to "activate" an installed plugin within a project
> somehow?

some plugins have an install.rb to run (acts_as_list isn't one of them)

> 3.) Do i install plugins generally or just for the current project i'm
> in?
just for a project