Forum: Ruby on Rails belongs_to or has_many

Fresh M. (Guest)
on 2009-02-21 23:39
2 tables Items and Categories

Categories (id, name)
Items (id, name, category_id)

Category_id can be null, and there are Categories that has not an Item.
Eric (Guest)
Any chance of taking this list moderated?
Frederick C. (Guest)
On Feb 21, 9:39 pm, Jo Jo <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
> 2 tables Items and Categories
>
> Categories (id, name)
> Items (id, name, category_id)
>
> Category_id can be null, and there are Categories that has not an Item.

Well you may not realise it yet, but the fact that having a
category_id on the items table  and no other columns on the categories
table works for you means that you have already solved this problem:
the belongs_to always lives on the table with the foreign key and the
has_many or has_one on the other side.

Fred
Frederick C. (Guest)
On Feb 21, 11:34 pm, Frederick C. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>
wrote:
> category_id on the items table  and no other columns on the categories
> table works for you means that you have already solved this problem:
> the belongs_to always lives on the table with the foreign key and the
> has_many or has_one on the other side.

Oops, forgot to add that
http://api.rubyonrails.org/classes/ActiveRecord/As...
and http://guides.rails.info/association_basics.html cover this sort