Forum: Ruby Building Ruby 1.9.1 on Windows - LINK error

A. V. (Guest)
on 2009-02-21 06:37
Hi everybody!

I'm trying to compile Ruby 1.9.1 with Visual Studio 2008 Express and I'm
getting an error... and I do have my environnements variables set (PATH)

I am doing everything as written in the readme file...
(win32/configure.bat, nmake) It is compiling for a while and then I get
this error, always at the same place

cl -nologo main.obj dmydln.obj dmyencoding.obj miniprelude.obj array.ob
j  bignum.obj  class.obj  compar.obj  complex.obj  dir.obj  enum.obj
enumerator
.obj  error.obj  eval.obj  load.obj  proc.obj  file.obj  gc.obj
hash.obj  inits
.obj  io.obj  marshal.obj  math.obj  numeric.obj  object.obj  pack.obj
parse.ob
j  process.obj  random.obj  range.obj  rational.obj  re.obj  regcomp.obj
regenc
.obj  regerror.obj  regexec.obj  regparse.obj  regsyntax.obj  ruby.obj
safe.obj
  signal.obj  sprintf.obj  st.obj  strftime.obj  string.obj  struct.obj
time.ob
j  transcode.obj  util.obj  variable.obj  version.obj  compile.obj
debug.obj  i
seq.obj  vm.obj  vm_dump.obj  thread.obj  cont.obj  ascii.obj
us_ascii.obj unico
de.obj utf_8.obj  newline.obj  acosh.obj cbrt.obj crypt.obj erf.obj
lgamma_r.obj
 strlcat.obj strlcpy.obj tgamma.obj win32.obj langinfo.obj dmyext.obj
oldnames.l
ib user32.lib advapi32.lib shell32.lib ws2_32.lib  -Feminiruby.exe -link
-increm
ental:no -debug -opt:ref -opt:icf
LINK : fatal error LNK1104: cannot open file 'miniruby.exe'
NMAKE : fatal error U1077: '"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio
9.0\VC\BIN
\cl.EXE"' : return code '0x2'
Stop.
NMAKE : fatal error U1077: '.\miniruby.exe' : return code '0x2'
Stop.

-----

See? Seems like "link" cannot find miniruby.exe, but it IS in the build
directory, I do not understand! I even tried to add the build dir into
the environnement variables, so miniruby.exe could be accessible
anywhere, but it still raises this error!

Anyone knows how to compile properly under windows ? :\

Thank you very much
Roger P. (Guest)
on 2009-02-21 07:17
> LINK : fatal error LNK1104: cannot open file 'miniruby.exe'
> NMAKE : fatal error U1077: '"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio
> 9.0\VC\BIN
> \cl.EXE"' : return code '0x2'
> Stop.
> NMAKE : fatal error U1077: '.\miniruby.exe' : return code '0x2'
> Stop.

It may be that it's trying to 'override' miniruby.exe but cannot.  Make
sure there aren't any file locks on deleting said file
[http://ccollomb.free.fr/unlocker/ is really handy for said task].
That being said, you could also build with mingw
http://www.holymonkey.com/buildingshoesinwindows and/or join the
rubyinstaller dev list.
Cheers!
-=r
A. V. (Guest)
on 2009-02-21 17:47
Roger P. wrote:

>> LINK : fatal error LNK1104: cannot open file 'miniruby.exe'
>> NMAKE : fatal error U1077: '"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio
>> 9.0\VC\BIN
>> \cl.EXE"' : return code '0x2'
>> Stop.
>> NMAKE : fatal error U1077: '.\miniruby.exe' : return code '0x2'
>> Stop.
>
> It may be that it's trying to 'override' miniruby.exe but cannot.  Make
> sure there aren't any file locks on deleting said file
> [http://ccollomb.free.fr/unlocker/ is really handy for said task].
> That being said, you could also build with mingw
> http://www.holymonkey.com/buildingshoesinwindows and/or join the
> rubyinstaller dev list.
> Cheers!
> -=r

Well, thank you for your reply but I don't think this is the problem, as
It really looks like it cannot find "miniruby.exe".. :(

If someones could help me, that would be very appreciated!

Thank you very much
Roger P. (Guest)
on 2009-02-21 18:00
>> It may be that it's trying to 'override' miniruby.exe but cannot.  Make
>> sure there aren't any file locks on deleting said file
>> [http://ccollomb.free.fr/unlocker/ is really handy for said task].
>> That being said, you could also build with mingw
>> http://www.holymonkey.com/buildingshoesinwindows and/or join the
>> rubyinstaller dev list.
>> Cheers!
>> -=r
>
> Well, thank you for your reply but I don't think this is the problem, as
> It really looks like it cannot find "miniruby.exe".. :(
>
> If someones could help me, that would be very appreciated!
>
> Thank you very much

maybe it's trying to build within a path with spaces?
A. V. (Guest)
on 2009-02-21 19:53
Roger P. wrote:

>>> It may be that it's trying to 'override' miniruby.exe but cannot.  Make
>>> sure there aren't any file locks on deleting said file
>>> [http://ccollomb.free.fr/unlocker/ is really handy for said task].
>>> That being said, you could also build with mingw
>>> http://www.holymonkey.com/buildingshoesinwindows and/or join the
>>> rubyinstaller dev list.
>>> Cheers!
>>> -=r
>>
>> Well, thank you for your reply but I don't think this is the problem, as
>> It really looks like it cannot find "miniruby.exe".. :(
>>
>> If someones could help me, that would be very appreciated!
>>
>> Thank you very much
>
> maybe it's trying to build within a path with spaces?

Ok, I tried to execute the same command that caused the error, manually,
and it worked... then I guess this is a makefle error or something like
that? MSVC9 not supported? Anyway, even if it works manually, the build
isnt complete as the makefile stops as soon as it bugs

This is pretty annoying, someone managed to build ruby on windows with
MSVC9(VC2008 Express) ?
Roger P. (Guest)
on 2009-02-21 20:16
> This is pretty annoying, someone managed to build ruby on windows with
> MSVC9(VC2008 Express) ?

I've heard of success.
http://rubyforge.org/pipermail/rubyinstaller-devel...
Cheers!