Forum: Ruby on Rails Apache configuration

Ashik A. (Guest)
on 2009-02-20 18:09
To configure https we need .pem certificate file. it has both
certificate
and private and public keys .

Using this I configured https in apache . It is working nice . My client
says that he send the https request using post method .

Also he says that data in post method will be encrypted .
like this ,

data='msisdn=919822222222&PTRefId=12345236789012345678&PTDateTime=20090120123020&custid=1234567890&messageType=50011'
( will be encrypted )

then he post this data using post method .

In the https scenario , I have configured my cerificate in appache
configuration
file .

Do I need any decryption method to decrypt this in my rails application
?

(or)

appache is enough to do this . I request you clarify my doubts .
Frederick C. (Guest)
On 20 Feb 2009, at 16:09, Ashikali A. wrote:

> In the https scenario , I have configured my cerificate in appache
> configuration
> file .
>

> Do I need any decryption method to decrypt this in my rails
> application
> ?

As far as https is concerned that will all be handled by apache.

Fred
Ashik A. (Guest)
on 2009-02-20 18:37
Frederick C. wrote:
> On 20 Feb 2009, at 16:09, Ashikali A. wrote:
>>
>> In the https scenario , I have configured my cerificate in appache
>> configuration
>> file .
>>

>> Do I need any decryption method to decrypt this in my rails
>> application
>> ?
>>
> As far as https is concerned that will all be handled by apache.
>
> Fred

Thank you so much Fred .

I have lot of confusing over here .

Doubts :
       Please see this ruby code ,

require 'net/http'
require 'net/https'

http = Net::HTTP.new('192.168.1.191' , 443 )
http.use_ssl = true
p http.peer_cert
path = '/main/test'
data =
'msisdn=919822222222&PTRefId=12345236789012345678&PTDateTime=20090120123020&custid=1234567890&messageType=50011'
resp, data = http.post(path, data, nil )
puts( resp,data )

Here I am posting this data to my https apache server . Being a client
I have to encrypt this data using public key . But here I didn't do any
encryption using certificate public key . But this is working how ?

can you explain me ?

cheers ,
ashikali
Frederick C. (Guest)
On 20 Feb 2009, at 16:37, Ashikali A. wrote:

> ,data )
>
> Here I am posting this data to my https apache server . Being a client
> I have to encrypt this data using public key . But here I didn't do
> any
> encryption using certificate public key . But this is working how ?
>
> can you explain me ?

net/http does all the ssl stuff for you (and so for you the only
difference between ssl and not ssl is a different port and setting
that use_ssl property.

Fred
Ashik A. (Guest)
on 2009-02-20 19:13
Frederick C. wrote:
> On 20 Feb 2009, at 16:37, Ashikali A. wrote:
>
>> ,data )
>>
>> Here I am posting this data to my https apache server . Being a client
>> I have to encrypt this data using public key . But here I didn't do
>> any
>> encryption using certificate public key . But this is working how ?
>>
>> can you explain me ?
>>
> net/http does all the ssl stuff for you (and so for you the only
> difference between ssl and not ssl is a different port and setting
> that use_ssl property.
>
> Fred

I could not understand this ,

On 20 Feb 2009, at 17:13, Ashikali A. wrote:

>>> encryption using certificate public key . But this is working how ?
>
> (and so for you the only difference between ssl and not ssl is a
> different port and setting  that use_ssl property )

I'm saying that for a person using net::http all you have to do is set
use_ssl and connect to a different port.

Fred
Ashik A. (Guest)
on 2009-02-21 07:14
Frederick C. wrote:

>> (and so for you the only difference between ssl and not ssl is a
>> different port and setting  that use_ssl property )
>>

> I'm saying that for a person using net::http all you have to do is set
> use_ssl and connect to a different port.
>
> Fred

I grasped from your point . Thank you so much .

In linux debian apache I configured like this
/etc/apache2/sites-available/default
NameVirtualHost *
<VirtualHost *>
        ServerAdmin webmaster@localhost
        DocumentRoot /var/www/vetrivel/public/
        SSLEngine on

        SSLCertificateFile /etc/ssl/certs/mycert.pem

        <Directory /var/www/vetrivel/public/>
                      Options ExecCGI FollowSymLinks
                      AllowOverride all
                      Order allow,deny
                      Allow from all
        </Directory>
</Virtualhost>

I disable the 80 port and I enabled 443 port . Then I have created
certificate file mycert.pem using openssl( linux based ) . Then I did
restart my apache daemon . When I call URL in firefox browser it is
working
fine no problem .

If I use C# ( as a browser( as a client ) ) in windows instead of linux
ruby( refer ruby https post request )
whether it will work or not ? Do I need to do any changes on creating
mycert.pem
file or I have to change any configuration settings on apache to do this
. I request you to clarify my doubts .

cheers ,
ashikali