Forum: Ruby PGconn

Ashik A. (Guest)
on 2009-02-19 11:37
Can anyone tell me what are the 3rd and 4th argument of PGconn#connect
method
in ruby ? .
Dan W. (Guest)
http://phrogz.net/rubylibs/rdoc/classes/PGconn.html

pgoptions and pgtty? I'll give them one thing, they're really useful
names.

pgoptions:  backend options (String)
pgtty:  tty to print backend debug message (ignored in newer versions of
PostgreSQL) (String)

Cheers,
Dan

Google's really helpful ;)
Ashik A. (Guest)
on 2009-02-19 13:41
Dan W. wrote:
> http://phrogz.net/rubylibs/rdoc/classes/PGconn.html
>
> pgoptions and pgtty? I'll give them one thing, they're really useful
> names.
>
> pgoptions:  backend options (String)
> pgtty:  tty to print backend debug message (ignored in newer versions of
> PostgreSQL) (String)
>
> Cheers,
> Dan
>
> Google's really helpful ;)

I had a look on this URL . I think that pgoptions is psql command line
options . Because when the error comes to this methods it says hint as
follows ,

Error: ./TransactionProcessor.rb:15:in `connect': FATAL:  invalid
command-line arguments for server process (PGError)
HINT:  Try "postgres --help" for more information.
        from ./TransactionProcessor.rb:15:in `initialize'
        from ./TransactionProcessor.rb:30:in `new'
        from ./TransactionProcessor.rb:30

coding : PGconn.connect(
POSTGRES_SERVER,POSTGRES_PORT,"-x","",POSTGRES_DATABASE,POSTGRES_USERNAME,POSTGRES_PASSWORD
)
  here ,
          -x means Turn on the expanded table formatting mode. This is
equivalent to the \x command .

Can you tell me what is pgoptions ?
Dan W. (Guest)
Well I've just had a horrible flash back of getting the PG driver!

My PGconn code looks as such

pghost =  'localhost'
pgport = 5432
pgtbl = 'tweek'
dbname = 'postgres'

db = PGconn.connect(pghost, pgport,'','',pgtbl,dbname,'')

Have you tried the \x as the third option?
Failing that, sign up to the postgres mailing list. They may be able to
point you in the right direction.

Cheers,
Dan