Forum: Ruby on Rails Execute an SQL statement each time DB connection is set up

Alex F. (Guest)
on 2009-02-19 05:15
Hi everyone.

I need to execute a "SET SQL_MODE='STRICT_ALL_TABLES'" after my
application's DB connection is established by AcriveRecord. This is
important since I want the DB itself be more strict about logical data
integrity.

Which is the proper place within application code from where I can issue
this query?

Tried to make an ActiveRecord::Base.connection.execute() in an
initializer, but it only runs once after server startup. At next request
the connection is re-created, but initializers aren't invoked.

Alex
Mark Reginald J. (Guest)
Alex F.una wrote:

> initializer, but it only runs once after server startup. At next request
> the connection is re-created, but initializers aren't invoked.

In 2.2.2 there doesn't seem to be a callback when a connection
is established & re-established, so try an initializer like

ActiveRecord::ConnectionAdapters::MysqlAdaptor.class_eval do
   private
   def connect_with_strict
     connect_without_strict
     execute "SET SQL_MODE='STRICT_ALL_TABLES'"
   end
   alias_method_chain :connect, :strict

http://railswheels.com
Conrad T. (Guest)
On Wed, Feb 18, 2009 at 7:15 PM, Alex F.una <

> Tried to make an ActiveRecord::Base.connection.execute() in an
> initializer, but it only runs once after server startup. At next request
> the connection is re-created, but initializers aren't invoked.

Hi Alex, STRICT_ALL_TABLES is an option that one would set on a
database.
Thus, why don't you set it when you create the database?

-Conrad
Alex F. (Guest)
on 2009-02-19 20:23
Conrad T. wrote:
> Hi Alex, STRICT_ALL_TABLES is an option that one would set on a
> database.
> Thus, why don't you set it when you create the database?

Conrad,

AFAIK, SQL_MODE applies to _connection_, not DB itself. I.e. it's not
the same as, for example, DB engine or collation mode.

Consider (from 'script/server' log):
> SQL (0.2ms)   SET NAMES 'utf8'

Well, what I need is almost similar. What Mark proposed above seems
closer to what I need.

It has never been a problem in less sophisticated environments. Just
issue a bunch of "SET *" command after every connection and feel good.

Alex