Forum: JRuby wanted to use god, any other suggestions?

Robert B. (Guest)
So I just found out that god uses native extensions.  Does anyone know
of
anything similar that will work under jruby?

A related question:  is it possible to have long-running, time-event
driven
processes run jruby scripts under glassfish?  Any pointers on how to do
that
would be appreciated.

rob08 wrote:
> So I just found out that god uses native extensions.  Does anyone know of
> anything similar that will work under jruby?

What native extensions does it use? What a pain. You should see if
there's any way we can help the God author move away from that.

> A related question:  is it possible to have long-running, time-event driven
> processes run jruby scripts under glassfish?  Any pointers on how to do that
> would be appreciated.

Other have various solutions, I'll let them cover this.

- Charlie

> What native extensions does it use? What a pain. You should see if
> there's any way we can help the God author move away from that.

I'm a bit out of my depth looking at the c source but I see the
following:
#include <sys/types.h>
#include <unistd.h>
#include <sys/socket.h>
#include <linux/netlink.h>
#include <linux/connector.h>
#include <linux/cn_proc.h>
#include <errno.h>

I guess I'll send the author an email but I'm not optimistic....

On Tue, 2009-02-17 at 15:51 -0600, Charles Oliver N. wrote:
> rob08 wrote:
> > So I just found out that god uses native extensions.  Does anyone know of
> > anything similar that will work under jruby?
>
> What native extensions does it use? What a pain. You should see if
> there's any way we can help the God author move away from that.

i doubt this, gob is an system monitor similar to monit, thinked for
linux/freebsd/darwin systems, using some characteristics native to this
systems
to do poll and event based conditions Inclusive for better functionality
need
some linux kernel specific options.

too much a system tool that a common ruby program

--
BlackHand

rob08 wrote:
> #include <linux/cn_proc.h>
> #include <errno.h>
>
> I guess I'll send the author an email but I'm not optimistic....

Suggest FFI to him :) I bet most of what he's doing could be done
through FFI and work on all impls.

- Charlie

i think you only need the native extensions for immediate notification
about process status (via netlink). not sure if it will work with
jruby though, as it makes heavy use of ruby to C system calls, haven't
tried it.