Forum: NGINX Rewrite Rules

Paul G. (Guest)
Are the rewrite rules processed in the order they are listed in the
nginx.conf file or does nginx put them in the correct order when nginx
is
started up?

Thanks
Igor S. (Guest)
On Tue, Feb 17, 2009 at 07:48:30AM -0700, Paul G. wrote:

> Are the rewrite rules processed in the order they are listed in the
> nginx.conf file or does nginx put them in the correct order when nginx is
> started up?

nginx processes if/set/rewrite in following order:

1) server level rules;
2) then locaiton level rules;
   if a matching rewrite rule has no break flag,
   then nginx searches a new location and go to (2),
   i.e. runs location level rules.

On given level rules are processed in the order they are listed.

Example for request "/":

       server {

           rule1

           location / {
               rule3
               rule4
           }

           location ~ \.php$ {
               rule5
           }

           rule2

rule1, rule2,
rule3, rule4; rule4 rewrites to index.php;
rule5
Paul G. (Guest)
Thank You