Build failure - caused by posix_memalign.cc - in trunk built under Cygwin

Hi,

I’m trying to build the current trunk version of Gnuradio under Cygwin
on Windows XP. Make currently fails with

posix_memalign.cc: In function int posix_memalign(void**, size_t, size_t)': posix_memalign.cc:86: error:valloc’ undeclared (first use this
function)
posix_memalign.cc:86: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported
only once f
or each function it appears in.)

Have I missed something?

Thanks,

Mike

On Feb 17, 2009, at 8:48 AM, Prior-Jones, Michael R wrote:

Have I missed something?
Hmmm. We’ve tried to include headers in posix_memalign.cc which work
with all OSs (OSX, Linux, Cygwin, ?MinGW?) for valloc ()). According
to the error the compiler was at line 86, which means that the macro
HAVE_VALLOC was defined, which means that ‘configure’ found the valloc
() function prototype somewhere – but not in the header file(s)
included in posix_memalign.cc thus far.

If you issue (in a Cygwin terminal) “grep -lr valloc /usr/include” do
you get any files listed? If so, what is it / are they? Issuing this
instruction on Ubuntu 8.10 results in:

/usr/include/malloc.h
/usr/include/stdlib.h

So hopefully Cygwin uses one of these Linux headers to define the
valloc () function prototype. stdlib.h is already included in
posix_memalign.cc, so it’s probably not in that header. Maybe
malloc.h? We can easily put #if’s around the #include to keep OSX
from barfing. - MLD

Hmmm. We’ve tried to include headers in posix_memalign.cc which work
with all OSs (OSX, Linux, Cygwin, ?MinGW?) for valloc ()). According
to the error the compiler was at line 86, which means that the macro
HAVE_VALLOC was defined, which means that ‘configure’ found the valloc
() function prototype somewhere – but not in the header file(s)
included in posix_memalign.cc thus far.

Thanks for your prompt reply. I’d guessed that something like that was
going on.

If you issue (in a Cygwin terminal) “grep -lr valloc /usr/include” do
you get any files listed? If so, what is it / are they? Issuing this
instruction on Ubuntu 8.10 results in:

/usr/include/malloc.h
/usr/include/stdlib.h

What I get is:

/usr/include/cygwin/stdlib.h
/usr/include/cygwin/version.h
/usr/include/malloc.h

I’m guessing that /usr/include/cygwin/stdlib.h is the joker in the pack.

Mike

Can you figure out if /usr/include/cygwin/stdlib.h is #included from /
usr/include/malloc.h or /usr/include/stdlib.h or some other /usr/
include/[foo].h file? I’d rather #include a reasonably standard
header file if at all possible. - MLD

/usr/include/stdlib.h references it:

#ifdef CYGWIN
#include <cygwin/stdlib.h>
#endif

MPJ

What I get is:

/usr/include/cygwin/stdlib.h
/usr/include/cygwin/version.h
/usr/include/malloc.h

I’m guessing that /usr/include/cygwin/stdlib.h is the joker in the
pack.

Can you figure out if /usr/include/cygwin/stdlib.h is #included from /
usr/include/malloc.h or /usr/include/stdlib.h or some other /usr/
include/[foo].h file? I’d rather #include a reasonably standard
header file if at all possible. - MLD

On Feb 17, 2009, at 10:22 AM, Don W. wrote:

/usr/include/cygwin/stdlib.h references valloc(), but valloc() is
declared in /usr/include/malloc.h. So <malloc.h> is what you want
to include for Cygwin.

Isn’t <malloc.h> what was added in the first place to
posix_memalign.cc, which caused this issue?

I’m good with adding in malloc.h into configure.ac, then into
posix_memalign.cc with proper #ifdef around it. That will work with
OSX, and won’t hurt Linux, and sounds like it’ll allow Cygwin to work.

Eric / Johnathan … comments? These are small / easy changes. - MLD

On Feb 17, 2009, at 10:22 AM, Don W. wrote:

/usr/include/cygwin/stdlib.h references valloc(), but valloc() is
declared in /usr/include/malloc.h. So <malloc.h> is what you want
to include for Cygwin.

Isn’t <malloc.h> what was added in the first place to
posix_memalign.cc, which caused this issue?

No. What caused the issue is that valloc is not defined in the standard
place (<stdlib.h>) on Cygwin; <malloc.h> was added to fix the problem on
Cygwin, but it caused problems on other platforms.

I’m good with adding in malloc.h into configure.ac, then into
posix_memalign.cc with proper #ifdef around it. That will work with
OSX, and won’t hurt Linux, and sounds like it’ll allow Cygwin to work.

Eric / Johnathan … comments? These are small / easy changes. - MLD

This sounds good to me as long as there is no hazard in including
<malloc.h>
on other (non-Cygwin) systems that have it but don’t need it.

– Don W.