Forum: JRuby RailsConf 2009 proposals due Tuesday night!

Charles Oliver N. (Guest)
RailsConf 2009 is approaching and the call for proposals is due tomorrow
at 11:59PM Pacific Time. So here's the thread to discuss proposals
you're thinking of submitting, so we can sync up and cover all
appropriate topics.

Fire away!

- Charlie

Well, I'd love to go and talk about JRuby deployment options, but my
employer will not finance this (financial crisis and all that) and I
don't
have the money (I'm saving for my wedding which will be in August :))

Anyway here is what I was working on lately:
http://github.com/virgo/jrecipes/tree/master
This is a gem with some JRuby deployment recipes and a war_file
deployment
strategy for Capistrano. It will evolve in the future as we're moving to
JRuby with most of our client projects. I would also love to explore
other
deployment options (Maven, CI, Hudson). Just wishing I'll have the time
for
all of these.

So, if someone wants to pay for my travel, conference and room fees then
I'd
love to prepare and talk about these. Otherwise feel free to borrow the
idea
and contact me if you want some help with the capistrano part.

LacKac

On Mon, Feb 16, 2009 at 9:34 PM, Charles Oliver N. <
Ikai L. (Guest)
I'd love to do a session about our experiences with JRuby on Rails.
Here's one I submitted yesterday:

JRuby on Rails: Lessons from production

Since the release of threadsafe Rails in 2.2, JRuby has become the
number one Ruby VM in terms of Rails performance. This session will
discuss the benefits of running on JRuby - but will do so in a practical
way which balances the positives against the negatives. This session
seeks to discuss the challenges we faced as well as the solutions we
found so that others can dive head first into JRuby.

Ikai
Charles Oliver N. (Guest)
Sounds great Ikai, let us know if you need any help with this talk!

Charles Oliver N. wrote:
> RailsConf 2009 is approaching and the call for proposals is due tomorrow
> at 11:59PM Pacific Time. So here's the thread to discuss proposals
> you're thinking of submitting, so we can sync up and cover all
> appropriate topics.
>
> Fire away!

We're going to discuss this a bit on IRC to get everyone in sync...stop
by if you're around.

- Charlie