Forum: Ruby Gems 1.3.1 and sources

Feng S. (Guest)
Hi folks,

I tried to install Rails today so I got Ruby 1.8.7 and gem 1.3.1 as
sources. Ruby get installed without problems and also gems worked fine
with `ruby setub.rb`.
When I now tried to install Rails via `gem install rails` gem complained
about the missing gem sources. I hoped `gem install sources` will do the
trick, but now gem still insists on "0.0.1 not > 0.0.1" (see attachment)
We'll, he's right ...
Any suggestions?

Thanks, Fengi
Eric H. (Guest)
On Feb 15, 2009, at 09:07, Feng Shui wrote:

> attachment)
> We'll, he's right ...
> Any suggestions?
>
> Thanks, Fengi
>
> Attachments:
> http://www.ruby-forum.com/attachment/3300/RubyGems.txt

If you run with --debug every exception encountered is printed even if
it's rescued.  This particular exception is rescued.
Florian G. (Guest)
On Feb 25, 2009, at 8:41 PM, Eric H. wrote:

>> about the missing gem sources. I hoped `gem install sources` will
>
> If you run with --debug every exception encountered is printed even
> if it's rescued.  This particular exception is rescued.

This seems to be more then an isolated problem. We have at least two
reports of it at the german ruby boards.

The interesting part seems to be "marshal data to short".

Regards,
Florian

--
Florian G.

smtp:   removed_email_address@domain.invalid
jabber: removed_email_address@domain.invalid
gpg:    533148E2
Eric H. (Guest)
On Feb 25, 2009, at 16:09, Florian G. wrote:
>>> about the missing gem sources. I hoped `gem install sources` will
>>
>> If you run with --debug every exception encountered is printed even
>> if it's rescued.  This particular exception is rescued.
>>

> This seems to be more then an isolated problem. We have at least two
> reports of it at the german ruby boards.
>
> The interesting part seems to be "marshal data to short".

I suspect that you may have network issues.  You can see which URLs
RubyGems is trying to fetch with --verbose:

$ gem list --verbose -r rails

*** REMOTE GEMS ***

GET 200 OK: http://gems.rubyforge.org/latest_specs.4.8.gz
[worked for me]

This may help you figure out the problem.  I see:

$ curl -I http://gems.rubyforge.org/latest_specs.4.8.gz
HTTP/1.1 200 OK
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2009 01:06:57 GMT
Server: Apache
Last-Modified: Thu, 26 Feb 2009 00:05:04 GMT
ETag: "8c20-463c71aac8c00"
Accept-Ranges: bytes