Forum: Ruby on Rails Retrieving SHG Password

vanweerd (Guest)
How does one retrive an encryped password generated with the Salted
Generator?

Thanks,
Nick
purestorm (Guest)
Am 25.11.2005 um 23:29 schrieb Nicholas Van W.:

> How does one retrive an encryped password generated with the Salted
> Login Generator?

The whole idea of encrypting a password with MD5 or crypt (which SLG
uses) is that the password is hard - if not impossible - do decrypt.
There is "no way" of retrieving a password.

This secures passwords against stealing a user database, for example.
The only way you can allow users to log in again is to generate a new
password and send it to the email adress they specified on registration.

Regards

Manuel H.
vanweerd (Guest)
I thought it might be something like that.

Anyone have recommendations for something that is retrievable? Maybe
something with a private key that an admin keeps seperate from the
application?

Thanks,
Nick