Forum: JRuby jruby blocking in tomcat

AD (Guest)
Hello,

 While running a load test i saw blocking in Jconsole.  All threads said

Name: http-8080-ProcessorX  (where X is every thread but #7)
State: BLOCKED on org.jruby.RubyClass@23b9fe9b owned by:
http-8080-Processor7

They all pointed to Processer7.  So i took a dump of processer7 but
cant really make heads or tails of it.  Can someone help debug this
thread trace?

http://pastie.org/389555

Thanks
Adam

AD wrote:

> http://pastie.org/389555

Ahhh yes. This looks like a deadlock that is fixed on trunk/1.2. It's
trying to invalidate method caches down a hierarchy, but at the same
time another thread is doing the same thing and they must be crossing
and trying to acquire each others' locks. On trunk, there are no locks
involved in this process other than on a single object that does no
further calls, so this shouldn't happen. Is it possible for you to try
this on trunk? There's no easy workaround other than avoiding defining
new methods in multiple threads at the same time.

- Charlie

i can see if we can try on dev.  Is there a jruby-1.1.2-complete?

Was this an issue introduced in 1.1.6 or has always been there?  We
have run load tests before without seeing this issue.

Adam

On Sun, Feb 15, 2009 at 2:19 PM, Charles Oliver N.
>> They all pointed to Processer7.  So i took a dump of processer7 but
> shouldn't happen. Is it possible for you to try this on trunk? There's no

It was probably introduced in either 1.1.5 or 1.1.6 when we changed the
way method caching works.

AD wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>> - Charlie

Here's nightly builds, usually pretty solid (rarely broken):

http://jruby.headius.com:8080/hudson/job/jruby-dist/