Forum: wxRuby Compatibility Issues?

Announcement (2017-05-07): www.ruby-forum.com is now read-only since I unfortunately do not have the time to support and maintain the forum any more. Please see rubyonrails.org/community and ruby-lang.org/en/community for other Rails- und Ruby-related community platforms.
Peter W. (Guest)
on 2009-02-15 07:17
I'm running Ruby 1.9.1 (Win32) and I installed the
wxruby-1.9.10-x86-mswin32-60 gem.

But when I try to run a script with it, I get an error, "This
application has failed to start because msvcrt-ruby18.dll was not
found."

I also get this output:

C:/Program
Files/Ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.9.1/gems/wxruby-1.9.10-x86-mswin32-60/lib/wx.rb:12:in
`require': 126: The specified module could not be found.   - C:/Program
Files/Ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.9.1/gems/wxruby-1.9.10-x86-mswin32-60/lib/wxruby2.so
(LoadError)
  from C:/Program
Files/Ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.9.1/gems/wxruby-1.9.10-x86-mswin32-60/lib/wx.rb:12:in
`<top (required)>'
  from HelloWorld.rb:2:in `require'
  from HelloWorld.rb:2:in `<main>'

I assume that it's looking for a legacy library from 1.8.x, how can I
fix this?
Alex F. (Guest)
on 2009-02-15 15:03
(Received via mailing list)
Hi

Peter Wu wrote:
> I'm running Ruby 1.9.1 (Win32) and I installed the
> wxruby-1.9.10-x86-mswin32-60 gem.
>
Any binary gem compiled for Ruby 1.8 won't work with Ruby 1.9.

There's various ways you can get started using wxRuby with Ruby 1.9 on
Windows; see the comments on this tracker item:

http://rubyforge.org/tracker/index.php?func=detail...

alex
Peter W. (Guest)
on 2009-02-15 19:27
Alex F. wrote:

> Any binary gem compiled for Ruby 1.8 won't work with Ruby 1.9.
>
> There's various ways you can get started using wxRuby with Ruby 1.9 on
> Windows; see the comments on this tracker item:
>
> http://rubyforge.org/tracker/index.php?func=detail...

So pretty much if I want wxRuby with my currently installed binaries I'm
going to have to compile my own from source, is that right?

I suspected as much, though I was hoping that I wouldn't have to.
Alex F. (Guest)
on 2009-02-15 20:02
(Received via mailing list)
Peter Wu wrote:
> So pretty much if I want wxRuby with my currently installed binaries I'm
> going to have to compile my own from source, is that right?
>

No; as it says, you could first try installing the mingw-ruby19 gem onto
the mswin build. Download the gem manually then do gem install --force
<filename>

I haven't tried this with 1.9, but it works with 1.8. It's probably not
recommended for production use.

> I suspected as much, though I was hoping that I wouldn't have to.
>

You may find this thread useful:

http://rubyforge.org/pipermail/wxruby-development/...

I don't know if these problems were ever resolved.

Since the main ruby distribution for Windows is moving over to MingW,
fixing support for MSVC builds with Ruby 1.9 hasn't been a high
priority. We'll happily integrate any needed fixes though.

a
Chauk-Mean P. (Guest)
on 2009-02-16 22:45
(Received via mailing list)
Hi,

2009/2/15 Alex F. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>:
> I haven't tried this with 1.9, but it works with 1.8. It's probably not
> recommended for production use.

I've been able to install the mingw-ruby19 gem onto the ruby-1.9.1-p0
mswin build (from
ftp://ftp.ruby-lang.org/pub/ruby/binaries/mswin32/ruby-1.9.1-p0-i386-mswin32.zip).
But running a wxruby sample causes a crash.

>> I suspected as much, though I was hoping that I wouldn't have to.
>
> You may find this thread useful:
>
> http://rubyforge.org/pipermail/wxruby-development/...
>
> I don't know if these problems were ever resolved.

wxRuby still does not build yet with MSVC for ruby-1.9.1.

Chauk-Mean.
This topic is locked and can not be replied to.