Forum: wxRuby Is there a good book?

Ruby S. (Guest)
Hi wxruby community,

Can anyone recommend a good (beginner) book for wxruby?
RDOC is fine once you it, but I find wx very complex and I can't find
any
documentation.
Even the "bigdemo" is kind when one do not know the product.
The tutorial is good for very, very simple things.
The wxruby community is great, but I feel like a symbiotic parasite
coming
back and back with questions.
I would prefer a good book or documentation.

Thanks
Chauk-Mean P. (Guest)

2009/2/13 Ruby S. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>:
> Hi wxruby community,
>
> Can anyone recommend a good (beginner) book for wxruby?

There is not yet a wxRuby book.

> RDOC is fine once you it, but I find wx very complex and I can't find any
> documentation.

There is an HTML documentation that can be downloaded (see the
download section from wxRuby wiki) or browsed online at
http://wxruby.rubyforge.org/doc.
This documentation is updated regularly (e.g. there have already been
some fixes since wxRuby 2.0 RC1).

> I would prefer a good book or documentation.

If you're familiar with C++, you can also read the wxWidgets C++ book
which is freely downloadable.
http://www.phptr.com/content/images/0131473816/dow...

Cheers.

Chauk-Mean.
Rooby N. (Guest)
on 2009-02-14 14:15
Hi Ruby S.

I'm in exactly the same position as yourself. I'm struggling to learn
wxRuby/wxWidgets and Ruby, all at the same time, and progress is very
slow but I'm determined to crack it! There's certainly a market for such
a book and I'd just like to add my support for your cause.
Alex F. (Guest)
Ruby S. wrote:
> Can anyone recommend a good (beginner) book for wxruby?

As Chauk-Mean says there is a good book about wxWidgets which can be had
free. You can read the text of this to understand the classes, then come
back to wxRuby docs and samples to try them out.

There's also a wxPython book. I haven't seen it, but with Python being
more similar than C++ to Ruby, the code can be easier to understand. For
example, I was reading the "wxPython style guide" yesterday and nearly
everything in it I would recommend for Ruby too.

http://wiki.wxpython.org/wxPython%20Style%20Guide
> The wxruby community is great, but I feel like a symbiotic parasite
> coming back and back with questions.
Don't feel like that. So long as you've made a reasonable effort to find
the answer using the material available to you (docs, samples, web
search), no-one minds. Other people benefit through the mailing list and
then the archives being available. wxRuby is a big library (~300
classes) and I often still find out new things fielding questions.

A useful search tactic is to try converting the search terms back to C++
/ Python naming. For example, I was trying to figure something out about
the set_focus method of Wx::Window. Searching for "wxWindow SetFocus"
turned up the answer I was looking for on the wxPython and wxWidgets
mailing lists.

hth
alex
Ruby S. (Guest)
On Sat, Feb 14, 2009 at 7:15 AM, Rooby N. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>
wrote:

> removed_email_address@domain.invalid

Thanks to everyone for their comments. It is truly appreciated!