Forum: JRuby Slide Show (S9) Gem V0.7 - Now JRuby Compatible - JRuby: Ready for Action Sample Online

Gerald B. (Guest)
Hello,

  I updated the slideshow and removed some (optional) dependencies
used for syntax highlighting[1] and now the slideshow gem works
out-of-the-box with JRuby.

  Just issue:

$ jruby -S gem install slideshow

  or similar resulting in:

Successfully installed RedCloth-4.1.1-universal-java
Successfully installed BlueCloth-1.0.0
Successfully installed slideshow-0.7.4
3 gems installed

  To create a slide show (S5, S6, FullerScreen) etc. issue, for example:

$ jruby -S slideshow jruby

  Resulting in

Slide Show (S9) Version: 0.7.4 on Ruby 1.8.6 (2008-12-17) [java]
Preparing slideshow 'jruby'...
Preparing jruby.svg...
Preparing jruby.html...
Preparing jruby.css...
Done.

  You can find the sample slideshow-gem-generated all-in-one-web-page
presentation (w/ three stylesheets and modes, that is, projection,
outline and print) online at:

  http://slideshow.rubyforge.org/jruby.html

  It's an adapted S6/S9 version of the "JRuby: Ready for Action",
EuRuKo 2008 talk by Charles Oliver N. and Thomas E..

  S6/S9 tip: Use the T key to toggle between outline and
projection/presentation mode.

  Cheers.

[1] The Ultraviolet syntax highlighting gem requires a pre-installed
Oniguruma regex engine in C, for example.

PS: what's Slide Show (S9)?

A Ruby gem that lets you create slide shows and author slides in plain
text using a wiki-style markup language that's easy-to-write and
easy-to-read. The Slide Show (S9) project also collects and welcomes
themes and ships "out-of-the-gem" with built-in support for
"loss-free" gradient vector graphics themes and more.

Gerald B. wrote:
> Hello,
>
>   I updated the slideshow and removed some (optional) dependencies
> used for syntax highlighting[1] and now the slideshow gem works
> out-of-the-box with JRuby.

Cool, thanks for the update! And FYI, JRuby's regex engine is
Oniguruma-compatible...so perhaps there's a way to get the
syntax-highlighting gem (Ultraviolet, was it?) to work with JRuby as
well. Can you follow up on that?

- Charlie

Hello,

>>  I updated the slideshow and removed some (optional) dependencies
>> used for syntax highlighting[1] and now the slideshow gem works
>> out-of-the-box with JRuby.
>
> Cool, thanks for the update! And FYI, JRuby's regex engine is
> Oniguruma-compatible...so perhaps there's a way to get the
> syntax-highlighting gem (Ultraviolet, was it?) to work with JRuby as well.
> Can you follow up on that?

   Thanks for the update on Oniguruma. Will do. Yes, it was
Ultraviolet[1] that itself depends on Textpow[2] that depends on the
Ruby C Oniguruma[3] bindings depending on the C Oniguruma regex engine
pre-installed.

  Anyways, there are other syntax highlighting gems (some in
JavaScript too) so it's not really a show stopper. Thanks again for
the update.

  All the best. Cheers.

[1] http://ultraviolet.rubyforge.org
[2] http://textpow.rubyforge.org