Forum: Ruby on Rails insert rails into php

Sniper A. (Guest)
on 2009-02-11 12:37
hi experts,

i have a PHP web application which consists of so much modules (like
registration,billing,reports,etc...)

i want to convert arround only 60% modules from PHP to Rails, that means
remaining 40% modules should be in PHP only.

i thing my webserver should be a bridge between rails & PHP application

is there any webserver which can check the request url and send the
request to rails or PHP accordingly ?

any other idea & help appreciated .

thx
Frederick C. (Guest)
On 11 Feb 2009, at 10:37, Sniper A. wrote:

> i thing my webserver should be a bridge between rails & PHP
> application
>

> is there any webserver which can check the request url and send the
> request to rails or PHP accordingly ?

apache, nginx etc... can certainly forward the request to different
places based on the url (and other things). Where things might get
complicated is to what extent your php bits and your rails bits will
need to share information

Fred
Sniper A. (Guest)
on 2009-02-12 06:43
Frederick C. wrote:
> On 11 Feb 2009, at 10:37, Sniper A. wrote:
> apache, nginx etc... can certainly forward the request to different
> places based on the url (and other things). Where things might get
> complicated is to what extent your php bits and your rails bits will
> need to share information
>
> Fred

thx Fred

i have one more problem
i want to create subdomain for their profile url accordingly to
user_name

for example i have url (http://localhost:3000/)

if any person login as "user_name" then his profile page url should be
http://user_name.localhost:3000/

any idea ?
Frederick C. (Guest)
On 12 Feb 2009, at 04:43, Sniper A. wrote:

> thx Fred
>
> i have one more problem
> i want to create subdomain for their profile url accordingly to
> user_name
>
> for example i have url (http://localhost:3000/)
>
> if any person login as "user_name" then his profile page url should be
> http://user_name.localhost:3000/

Well I'm not sure how you'd do it in development, but in the real
world you can setup a wildcard dns entry. There's a railscast on
handling subdomains if my memory is correct.

Fred
Elias O. (Guest)
Hey guys I’ll leave this two links here if you’re interested in
working with subdomains:

http://www.37signals.com/svn/posts/1512-how-to-do-...
http://www.robbyonrails.com/articles/2009/01/11/su...

On Feb 11, 11:43 pm, Sniper A. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>
Sniper A. (Guest)
on 2009-02-13 06:26
Elias O. wrote:
> Hey guys I�ll leave this two links here if you�re interested in
> working with subdomains:
>
> http://www.37signals.com/svn/posts/1512-how-to-do-...

http://www.robbyonrails.com/articles/2009/01/11/su...

> On Feb 11, 11:43�pm, Sniper A. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>

thanks
ravigit (Guest)
Fred,

Do you think it is possible to have a <div> section within a php page
that can get content from a rails application? I want to keep php as
the main backbone for the overall application, but have some sections
get content from rails application. Will appreciate any help.

Thanks
ravigit

On Feb 11, 6:51 am, Frederick C. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>
Frederick C. (Guest)
On 4 Mar 2009, at 00:02, ravigit wrote:

> Fred,
>
> Do you think it is possible to have a <div> section within a php page
> that can get content from a rails application? I want to keep php as
> the main backbone for the overall application, but have some sections
> get content from rails application. Will appreciate any help.

As I understand things You've basically got 3 options - populate that
div client side with an ajax request, have an iframe that will make a
request to the rails bit or have your php server side code make a
request to your rails app and insert the html serverside.

Fred