Forum: Ruby ~/.gem ambiguity

Roger P. (Guest)
on 2009-02-07 19:20
Seems to me that defaulting to installing gems in ~/.gem could cause
some ambiguity within ~/.gem/bin if you're using multiple versions of
ruby simultaneously.
ex:
ruby187 puts its 'mongrel' executable there
ruby19 puts its 'mongrel' executable there and overwrites it.

I realize you can append a prefix to executables for versioning, but
would another good suggestion be to default to ~/.gem_ruby_version ?
Thoughts?
-=r
Luis L. (Guest)
On Feb 7, 3:19 pm, Roger P. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
> -=r
1.8.6 and 1.8.7 are supposed to be compatible.

1.9.1, on the other hand, get gems installed in ~/.gem/ruby/1.9.1

Regards,
Roger P. (Guest)
on 2009-02-07 20:40
> 1.9.1, on the other hand, get gems installed in ~/.gem/ruby/1.9.1

Oh gotcha thanks for pointing it out. I thought for some reason that
they shared a bin directory.

> 1.8.6 and 1.8.7 are supposed to be compatible.

For me they have been all except ruby inline, whose generated .so files
aren't compatible [and live in ~/.ruby_inline for all versions of ruby].
Also I'm not sure if rev binaries are compatible with both
simultaneously.

But anyway I'm only using one version of 1.8 so we're ok there :)

Thanks!
-=r
Luis L. (Guest)
On Feb 7, 4:39 pm, Roger P. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
> simultaneously.
I should have highlighted "supposed" in my previous sentence, but that
something most of the users are aware of ;-)

RubyInline needs to be fixed to workaround that, definitely.

> But anyway I'm only using one version of 1.8 so we're ok there :)

I have multiple 1.8.6 versions installed, but zero for 1.8.7 ;-)

Regards,