Forum: Ruby Is there any other way to learn other than books?

John D. (Guest)
on 2009-02-06 00:41
Hello,

I was wondering if there is any other alternative to learning a
programming language in particular Ruby/Ruby on Rails, other than
reading books? Like something more interactive, that focuses more on the
practical implementation.

I learn much better from practice and "toying around" and I really hate
when I see a 500+ pages book. I know I'll never finish it.
Anderson L. (Guest)
on 2009-02-06 05:20
Take a look at railscasts.com
[]s
anderson
Giampiero Z. (Guest)
on 2009-02-06 11:14
John D. (Guest)
on 2009-02-06 19:40
Thanks guys! These are pretty cool resources!
Huw C. (Guest)
on 2009-02-06 21:24
The Book Of Ruby includes more than 300 ready-to-run Ruby programs. So
if you prefer to dip into code, try it out and modify it, you can do so.
Then just read bits of the book (there are about 400 pages) when you get
stuck.

http://www.sapphiresteel.com/The-Book-Of-Ruby

It's all free, by the way ;-)

best wishes
Huw
Rodrigo B. (Guest)
on 2009-02-07 01:49
John D. wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I was wondering if there is any other alternative to learning a
> programming language in particular Ruby/Ruby on Rails, other than
> reading books? Like something more interactive, that focuses more on the
> practical implementation.
>
> I learn much better from practice and "toying around" and I really hate
> when I see a 500+ pages book. I know I'll never finish it.

You can learn from someone else code faster if you understand the
problem they are trying to resolve.

Try the Ruby Q. archive
   http://rubyquiz.com/

-r.