Forum: Ruby connecting to an oracle database

ruud grosmann (Guest)
hi group,

I have problems connection to an oracle database using dbi.

machine: debian lenny,
ruby: ruby 1.8.7 (2008-08-11 patchlevel 72)

Using several descriptions on internet I have downloaded
ruby-oci8-1.0.3.tar and installed it.

The result is that I can open a database using a OCI8 object, but not
using a DBI object. I understood that the way to use DBI is by
installing that package.

Following a test script and its output. Can someone tell me what could
be wrong? Do I need to install another package?

thanks in advance, Ruud

============ script
require 'oci8'
require 'dbi'

connection = OCI8.new( 'user', 'pwd', 'database')
cursor = connection.exec('select id, description, name from role')
 while r = cursor.fetch()
   puts r.join(',')
 end
 cursor.close
 connection.logoff

puts "and now using DBI"

puts DBI.available_drivers
db = DBI.connect('DBI:OCI8:database', 'user', 'pwd')
sql = "select id from role"

dbh.select_all(sql) do | row |
            p row
        end

dbh.disconnect

==============output
1,admin,admin
2,traffic,traffic
and now using DBI
dbi:ODBC:
/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/DBD/ODBC/ODBC.rb:95:in `connect': IM002 (0)
[iODBC][Driver Manager]Data source name not found and no default
driver specified. Driver could not be loaded (DBI::DatabaseError)
        from /usr/lib/ruby/1.8/dbi.rb:424:in `connect'
        from /usr/lib/ruby/1.8/dbi.rb:215:in `connect'
        from leesdb:18
Robert K. (Guest)
2009/2/5 ruud grosmann <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>:
> The result is that I can open a database using a OCI8 object, but not
> require 'oci8'
> puts "and now using DBI"
>
>        from leesdb:18#
Note, I am not using DBI just trying to throw in my 0.02EUR Oracle
knowledge.

Looks like it attempts to not use OCI but ODBC instead. Did you check
output of these:

DBI.available_drivers
DBI.data_sources( driver )

You could also try DBI.trace to get more interesting output.

Btw, you do have an Oracle client installed, do you?

Kind regards

robert
ruud grosmann (Guest)
The output of DBI.available_drivers is in my first mail. OCI8 is not
available. But I was convinced that installing ruby-oci8 would install
the OCI8-dbd. That is not true, apparently.

 I was wondering why and what I have to do to get it installed.

I have the full Oracle client installed.

thanks for helping, Ruud
Robert K. (Guest)
Please do not top post.

2009/2/5 ruud grosmann <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>:
> The output of DBI.available_drivers is in my first mail.

Oh, I overlooked that one. Sorry.

> OCI8 is not
> available. But I was convinced that installing ruby-oci8 would install
> the OCI8-dbd. That is not true, apparently.

Maybe you need to additionally require something like dbi/oci8 - it's
been a while that I used that so my memory may fail me here.

Cheers

robert
ruud grosmann (Guest)
> Maybe you need to additionally require something like dbi/oci8 - it's
> been a while that I used that so my memory may fail me here.

I am sorry to have made a mess of my code example + output. The output
is a cut and past of two different versions. In the output, the ODBC
driver was mentioned, while I didn't use it in the script.
It should read

dbi:ODBC:
/usr/local/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/dbi.rb:312:in `load_driver': Could
not load driver (uninitialized constant OCI8::Driver)
(DBI::InterfaceError)
from /usr/local/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/dbi.rb:154:in `_get_full_driver'
from /usr/local/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/dbi.rb:139:in `connect'
from leeseb4:18

The problem is solved now; I have put OCI8.rb in the db folder and got
it from
ttp://ruby-oci8.rubyforge.org/svn/branches/ruby-oci8-1.0/lib/dbd/OCI8.rb

Thanks for helping,

Ruud