Forum: Ruby on Rails Property of text area in readonly mode

savitha s. (Guest)
on 2009-02-05 09:51
Hi all,
How to make an html textarea read only in one mode and make the same
textfield as editable in other mode? can anyone give me a solution for
this?

Thanks in advance
MaD (Guest)
set the readonly attribute and change it if necessary via AJAX.
Julian L. (Guest)
HTML property is disabled="true"

If you don't know how to specify HTML options, look at the api

Blog: http://random8.zenunit.com/
Learn rails: http://sensei.zenunit.com/

On 05/02/2009, at 6:51 PM, sam rlo <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>
savitha s. (Guest)
on 2009-02-09 11:24
Julian L. wrote:
> HTML property is disabled="true"
>
> If you don't know how to specify HTML options, look at the api
>
> Blog: http://random8.zenunit.com/
> Learn rails: http://sensei.zenunit.com/
>
> On 05/02/2009, at 6:51 PM, sam rlo <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>

Thanks a lot
Peter De Berdt (Guest)
On 09 Feb 2009, at 10:24, sam rlo wrote:

>> HTML property is disabled="true"
>>
>> If you don't know how to specify HTML options, look at the api

The correct notation is:

disabled="disabled"

as defined by the API at
http://www.w3schools.com/tags/att_input_disabled.asp
  and http://www.w3schools.com/tags/att_option_disabled.asp

Best regards

Peter De Berdt
Mathieu R. (Guest)
Setting a HTML element (textarea, select, input...) as disabled would
not
skip this element from being submitted??
Peter De Berdt (Guest)
Disabled form elements are not submitted. You can try with

readonly="readonly"

That may or may not work, you'll have to test it out.

The other option is to enable the input element just before submitting
the form (use Javascript to enable it).

On 09 Feb 2009, at 16:00, Mathieu R. wrote:

>>> If you don't know how to specify HTML options, look at the api
>
> The correct notation is:
>
> disabled="disabled"
>
> as defined by the API at http://www.w3schools.com/tags/att_input_disabled.asp
>  and http://www.w3schools.com/tags/att_option_disabled.asp

Best regards

Peter De Berdt
Hassan S. (Guest)
On Mon, Feb 9, 2009 at 3:49 AM, Peter De Berdt

> as defined by the API at http://www.w3schools.com/

Why in the world would you specify a non-definitive third-party web
site for "the API" when the actual recommendation is available???

<http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/> is the real deal. And yes, everyone
doing web development should read and bookmark it.

FWIW,
Peter De Berdt (Guest)
But I really don't see a reason why you would want to do that. Since
you want the form element to be readonly, it kind of implies you don't
want its value submitted back to the server.

On 09 Feb 2009, at 16:14, Hassan S. wrote:

>> as defined by the API at http://www.w3schools.com/
>
> Why in the world would you specify a non-definitive third-party web
> site for "the API" when the actual recommendation is available???
>
> <http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/> is the real deal. And yes, everyone
> doing web development should read and bookmark it.

Because they say exactly the same thing, only the w3.org page is less
clear imho.

Best regards

Peter De Berdt
Hassan S. (Guest)
On Mon, Feb 9, 2009 at 7:21 AM, Peter De Berdt

> <http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/> is the real deal. And yes, everyone
> doing web development should read and bookmark it.
>
> Because they say exactly the same thing, only the w3.org page is less clear
> imho.

But it's unequivocally correct, whereas the "w3schools" version has
had reported errors, at least in the past.

When in doubt, going to the actual recommendation/RFC/standard
is preferable practice, IMHO.

YMMV,