Forum: Ruby Building 1.9.1 on Debian Lenny - gcc issue

Michal S. (Guest)
Hello

While building ruby 1.9.1 on a Debian Lenny box with gcc4.3 (the
default) compiling parse.c might take several minutes on decent
hardware.

This problem happens on multiple x86 and x86_64 boxes for me but does
not happen on Debian gcc maintainer's boxes.

gcc 4.2 works fine for me.

Anybody else sees this problem?

Thanks

Michal
M. Edward (Ed) Borasky (Guest)
On Wed, Feb 4, 2009 at 7:01 PM, Michal S. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>
wrote:

> Anybody else sees this problem?
>
> Thanks
>
> Michal

I just built 1.9.1 successfully with gcc 4.3 on openSUSE 11.1 (64-bit
machine). I haven't done much with Lenny recently, although I will
probably download it when it's release and build a virtual machine
with it.

--
M. Edward (Ed) Borasky

Michal S. (Guest)
>> gcc 4.2 works fine for me.
> machine). I haven't done much with Lenny recently, although I will
> probably download it when it's release and build a virtual machine
> with it.

It's not that it does not build, it's just that it compiles that
particular file for very long and causes a particular pattern appear
on graphical system monitors that normally appears when something
locks up in a tight loop.

Thanks

Michal
Nobuyoshi N. (Guest)

At Thu, 5 Feb 2009 12:01:00 +0900,
Michal S. wrote in [ruby-talk:326944]:
> While building ruby 1.9.1 on a Debian Lenny box with gcc4.3 (the
> default) compiling parse.c might take several minutes on decent
> hardware.

Use optflags=-O3 instead of default -O2.