Forum: JRuby Hongli's merge sort benchmark runs 2x faster in JRuby/Ruby 1.9

Stephen B. (Guest)
I wrapped Hongli's simple merge sort benchmark described here:

   http://izumi.plan99.net/blog/index.php/2008/01/17/...

in Ruby's Benchmark library and did a more detailed comparison of
1.8.6, 1.9 trunk, and JRuby running on Java 1.5, 1.6, and 1.7.

http://blog.concord.org/archives/24-Comparison-of-...

The fastest "safe" result shows that JRuby running on Java 1.6 on
MacOS X* is a little more than twice as fast as Ruby 1.9.

I also have measurements using the "-fast" option with JRuby that
show a performance almost 2.5 times that of Ruby 1.9 -- but the use
of this option is still experimental.

* Apple's Java 1.6 is 64-bit and always runs in server mode

Stephen B. wrote:
> The fastest "safe" result shows that JRuby running on Java 1.6 on MacOS
> X* is a little more than twice as fast as Ruby 1.9.
>
> I also have measurements using the "-fast" option with JRuby that show a
> performance almost 2.5 times that of Ruby 1.9 -- but the use of this
> option is still experimental.
>
> * Apple's Java 1.6 is 64-bit and always runs in server mode

Very nice results, Stephen, thank you. I think we'll want to get more of
these kinds of posts out as we approach 1.2 release.

Roger P. (Guest)
on 2009-02-14 23:20
Stephen B. wrote:
> I wrapped Hongli's simple merge sort benchmark described here:
>
>    http://izumi.plan99.net/blog/index.php/2008/01/17/...
>
> in Ruby's Benchmark library and did a more detailed comparison of
> 1.8.6, 1.9 trunk, and JRuby running on Java 1.5, 1.6, and 1.7.

Cool.  I added that test to the ruby benchmark suite, for fun.
http://github.com/acangiano/ruby-benchmark-suite/tree/master
Enjoy.
-=r