Forum: Ruby on Rails How to deploy multiple apps on one Mac OSX development machine...

LaughingNinja (Guest)
I have split off the User Authentication of our main application into
it’s own application. I would like have this called from the main
application. How can I have multiple instances of “script/server”
running when there’s only one localhost:3000?

I believe I can then simple switch applications by routing.

Thanks.
Nginx L. (Guest)
on 2009-02-05 00:44
you can use ./script/server -p 4000

LaughingNinja wrote:
> I have split off the User Authentication of our main application into
> it�s own application. I would like have this called from the main
> application. How can I have multiple instances of �script/server�
> running when there�s only one localhost:3000?
>
> I believe I can then simple switch applications by routing.
>
> Thanks.
LaughingNinja (Guest)
Thanks. That was easy :)

On Feb 4, 2:44 pm, Nginx L. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>
Julian L. (Guest)
Choose a different port? LOL

Blog: http://random8.zenunit.com/
Learn rails: http://sensei.zenunit.com/

On 05/02/2009, at 9:41 AM, LaughingNinja <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>
Mathieu R. (Guest)
If you use Mac OS X, you could use Passenger Preference Pane:
http://www.fngtps.com/2008/12/passenger-preference-pane-v1-2

2009/2/4 Julian L. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>
Nginx L. (Guest)
on 2009-02-05 17:23
That would me my long term recommendation.
Passenger makes it easy to manage multiple Rails or Rack Apps

Mathieu R. wrote:
> If you use Mac OS X, you could use Passenger Preference Pane:
> http://www.fngtps.com/2008/12/passenger-preference-pane-v1-2
>
> 2009/2/4 Julian L. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>
LaughingNinja (Guest)
Thanks for all your input!

I'm using the alternate port and it's working. However, I now have
another issue: How can I send the Session: hash to the other
application. We have a Calendar application in house where users can
sign up for training classes. So, once the User is authorized in the
User Authentication app, I'm redirecting to the calendar app. I need
the Session: which contains the User object to tie the user to a
lesson.

What's your suggestion for passing this between apps?

Thanks again.

On Feb 5, 7:23 am, Nginx L. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>
Ram (Guest)
here are some resources that can get you started

http://en.oreilly.com/railseurope2008/public/sched...
(includes a ppt)
http://github.com/fcheung/rails_conf_demo/tree/master

although i think for your needs, you could just exploit the RESTful
actions design in Rails. For eg, your Calendar app should request
authentication by specifying a specific controller action in the
Authentication app (using complete URL, As Far As I Know) and your
Authentication app should return the Session hash.