Forum: IronRuby videos over IronRuby

Announcement (2017-05-07): www.ruby-forum.com is now read-only since I unfortunately do not have the time to support and maintain the forum any more. Please see rubyonrails.org/community and ruby-lang.org/en/community for other Rails- und Ruby-related community platforms.
Ivan P. (Guest)
on 2009-02-04 12:47
(Received via mailing list)
Hi,
I did a couple presentations the last few months on IronRuby or
Silverlight
+ Rails.

One was at Devoxx 2008, which I gravely underestimated, where I actually
use
a lot of content from Jimmy's presentation and I fail horribly. I didn't
watch that video because I just know it is really really bad.
That presentation was joint with somebody from Microsoft but I couldn't
yet
find it on the parleys.com site where it is supposed to be published.

Then I did one at an Italian Alt.NET gathering. I tried to watch it last
night and had to stop because it is more scary than a horror movie. At
least
now I know I suck at presenting I can learn and do it better next time.
I
should have done that a long time ago :). I knew I had an accent when
speaking english I just didn't know it was that bad either.
http://vimeo.com/3059773

Cheers
Ivan

Disclaimer: don't watch right after eating food or right before going to
bed. I am not responsible for any damage or harm inflicted by the video
;)
Charles Oliver N. (Guest)
on 2009-02-04 13:48
(Received via mailing list)
Ivan Porto C. wrote:
> supposed to be published.
I wish I'd have known you were going to be there...Devoxx is pretty
Ruby-slim, and we could have hung out a bit. Perhaps next event!

- Charlie
Ivan P. (Guest)
on 2009-02-04 14:22
(Received via mailing list)
I hope so.. but after my performance I think I will have to do some
serious
ass kissing before MS will invite me again.



On Wed, Feb 4, 2009 at 12:21 PM, Charles Oliver N. <
Charles Oliver N. (Guest)
on 2009-02-05 00:08
(Received via mailing list)
It gets easier :) Dig up videos of my RubyConf 2005 talk or Tom and my
JavaOne 2006 talks. Dismal.
Mike M. (Guest)
on 2009-02-05 01:13
(Received via mailing list)
On Wed, Feb 4, 2009 at 3:37 AM, Ivan Porto C.
<removed_email_address@domain.invalid>wrote:

>
> Then I did one at an Italian Alt.NET gathering. I tried to watch it last
> night and had to stop because it is more scary than a horror movie. At least
> now I know I suck at presenting I can learn and do it better next time. I
> should have done that a long time ago :). I knew I had an accent when
> speaking english I just didn't know it was that bad either.
> http://vimeo.com/3059773
>

Ivan, you are way too hard on yourself. I'm only half way through and so
far
its great. Awesome show, great job!
Mike M. (Guest)
on 2009-02-05 01:26
(Received via mailing list)
On Wed, Feb 4, 2009 at 2:35 PM, Charles Oliver N. <
removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:

> It gets easier :) Dig up videos of my RubyConf 2005 talk or Tom and my
> JavaOne 2006 talks. Dismal.
>

Does a video of your RubyConf 2005 session exist?!? I can find audio and
slides, but the only video I've found is from Sunday. I'd *love* to have
video of your session.

http://brainspl.at/articles/2005/12/01/rubyconf-fi...

RubyConf 2005 had a huge impact on me and I'd love to relive it. I had
one
of the few Windows laptops there and I remember installing Litestep
during
your talk. I used to run it back in the day and I had no idea you were
the
PM for it before you mentioned it in your session. Ahh memories...
Mike M. (Guest)
on 2009-02-05 01:44
(Received via mailing list)
On Wed, Feb 4, 2009 at 3:39 PM, Mike M. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> 
wrote:

>
> Ivan, you are way too hard on yourself. I'm only half way through and so
> far its great. Awesome show, great job!
>

But I'd suggest springing for Confreaks next time so we can see the text
in
your slides! :D
Nathan S. (Guest)
on 2009-02-05 05:12
(Received via mailing list)
Your English accent is fine.  If you work on your 'r' no one will even
know
what country you are from.
No native English speaker would have any difficulty understanding you.
Charles Oliver N. (Guest)
on 2009-02-06 10:36
(Received via mailing list)
Mike M. wrote:
> Does a video of your RubyConf 2005 session exist?!? I can find audio and
> slides, but the only video I've found is from Sunday. I'd *love* to have
> video of your session.
>
> http://brainspl.at/articles/2005/12/01/rubyconf-fi...

Ahh, I guess I've never looked either. I'd like to have a video of that
talk, since it was technically my first ever. I was super nervous;
practiced it twice the night before. Too bad that there might not be any
videos of it...lost to the ages I guess.

> RubyConf 2005 had a huge impact on me and I'd love to relive it. I had
> one of the few Windows laptops there and I remember installing Litestep
> during your talk. I used to run it back in the day and I had no idea you
> were the PM for it before you mentioned it in your session. Ahh memories...

Small world :) Litestep was probably the last C/C++ work I did in
earnest, and although we were able to *really* clean the codebase up,
the whole desktop-skinning thing faded away shortly after that.

Maybe in another ten years I'll be doing some other big OSS project. I'd
like to think I'll be done with JRuby at some point...

- Charlie
This topic is locked and can not be replied to.