Forum: Ruby on Rails Setting updated_at in database.

Tushar G. (Guest)
  I have an 'updated_at' field in events table. Whenever I am creating
an event it gets set to Time.now. But I don't want to set current time
in it. But I want to set another time. How should I do that? I tried
like this:-

event.updated_at="2008-02-02 03:35:11".
event.save

Still it not working.
Can anyone tell me how to do that?
Thanks,
Tushar
Julian L. (Guest)
You can't without executing the sql directly, because updated at is
automagic

Sent from my iPhone

On 02/02/2009, at 9:19 PM, Tushar G.
<removed_email_address@domain.invalid
MaD (Guest)
you can try overriding the method that is setting the updated_at
attribute. take a look at this (which is the first hit google found
for me on that subject):
http://neeraj.name/blog/articles/800-override-auto...
Andrew T. (Guest)
On Mon, Feb 2, 2009 at 12:19 PM, Tushar G. <

> Still it not working.
> Can anyone tell me how to do that?
> Thanks,
> Tushar
> --

Think about why you want to do this. The updated_at column is an
automatic
column that is meant to provide the date and time the entry was last
modified.
If you need to set a different date/time, why not create a new field
with a
new name and then set it manually or you can auto set it in a
before_save
method with your own business logic.

--
Andrew T.
http://ramblingsonrails.com

Tushar G. (Guest)
on 2009-02-02 13:58
MaD wrote:
> you can try overriding the method that is setting the updated_at
> attribute. take a look at this (which is the first hit google found
> for me on that subject):
> http://neeraj.name/blog/articles/800-override-auto...

That seems to be not working for me.

I have column name as "date_modified" instead of "updated_at".
I done everything that is given their.