Forum: GNU Radio New version of swig

Philip B. (Guest)
From: http://www.swig.org/

"SWIG-1.3.38 has been released. It contains an output directory
regression fix and other minor bug fixes."

I have a memory of someone having an issue with swig recently, was it
with gnuradio?

Philip
Michael D. (Guest)
On Feb 1, 2009, at 8:22 AM, Philip B. wrote:
> "SWIG-1.3.38 has been released. It contains an output directory
> regression fix and other minor bug fixes."
>
> I have a memory of someone having an issue with swig recently, was it
> with gnuradio?

Your memory is correct, and, yes, the issue was with how SWIG 1.3.37
behaved w/r.t. GNU Radio: in 1.3.36, the default output directory for
all created files was the same as that the argument to the "-o" output
file specifier option.  In 1.3.37, the default output directory was
changed for the .py output file to be the directory of the input .i
file ... which creates an error when doing 'make distcheck' because
the directory of the input .i file is not writable.  Adding in the
flag "-outdir $(builddir)" fixes the issue all the way back to around
SWIG version 1.3.20, and should be forwards API compatible as well.
There is a GNU Radio branch which corrects the behavior to make it the
same with 1.3.36 and 1.3.37 (by adding "-outdir $(builddir)") -- which
is still in testing -- but 1.3.38 should have corrected this issue for
those who are or will be using it. - MLD
Philip B. (Guest)
On Sun, Feb 1, 2009 at 12:49 PM, Michael D.
<removed_email_address@domain.invalid>
wrote:
> files was the same as that the argument to the "-o" output file specifier
> option.  In 1.3.37, the default output directory was changed for the .py
> output file to be the directory of the input .i file ... which creates an
> error when doing 'make distcheck' because the directory of the input .i file
> is not writable.  Adding in the flag "-outdir $(builddir)" fixes the issue
> all the way back to around SWIG version 1.3.20, and should be forwards API
> compatible as well.  There is a GNU Radio branch which corrects the behavior
> to make it the same with 1.3.36 and 1.3.37 (by adding "-outdir $(builddir)")
> -- which is still in testing -- but 1.3.38 should have corrected this issue
> for those who are or will be using it. - MLD

1.3.38 is working fine in Angstrom for the Beagle :)

Still trying to work out my exact issues with make check.

Philip