Forum: Ruby on Rails gem install ruby 0> doesn't install Ruby but says it does

Mongeta 9. (Guest)
on 2009-02-01 10:29
Hello,

I'm trying to set up a complete RoR with PostgreSQL and nginx plus
mongrel_cluster on Lenny.

I'll have all installed, except Ruby ...

$ gem install rails
1 gem installed

$ ruby --version
command not found

And I have the rails gem installed ....

Any idea why I can't use Rails ???

thanks!

r.

------------------------------

my list of gems:

rai@debian:/$ gem list

*** LOCAL GEMS ***

actionmailer (2.2.2)
actionpack (2.2.2)
activerecord (2.2.2)
activeresource (2.2.2)
activesupport (2.2.2)
cgi_multipart_eof_fix (2.5.0)
daemons (1.0.10)
fastthread (1.0.1)
gem_plugin (0.2.3)
mongrel (1.1.5)
mongrel_cluster (1.0.5)
pg (0.7.9.2008.10.13)
rails (2.2.2)
rake (0.8.3)
rai@debian:/$

my versions:

rai@debian:/$ irb -v
irb 0.9.5(05/04/13)
rai@debian:/$ gem -v
1.2.0
rai@debian:/$ ruby --version
rai@debian:/$ rails --version
-bash: rails: command not found
rai@debian:/$

After installing gem, rails, mongrel, ... on the remote server, I had
to add two alias to the bash files, I don't know if I have to do
something similar to Rails:

alias ruby=ruby1.8
alias irb=irb1.8

but I can't find the correct path of Rails

$ find . -type f -name "*rails" -print
(nothing found)
Mongeta 9. (Guest)
on 2009-02-01 11:39
Now I've installed Rails with aptitude:

rai@debian:~$ sudo aptitude install rails

and my system recognize the rails command but for example not the
--version option:

rai@debian:~$ rails --version
getopt: unrecognized option `--version'
Terminating...

on my OS X I can issue rails --version and get the 2.2.2. version output

any ideas ?

thanks,

r.
Frederick C. (Guest)
Apparently rubygems and ruby packages installed via apt-get
occasionally do weird, often slightly broken, things (like the
inability to do rails --version)

Fred
Mongeta 9. (Guest)
on 2009-02-02 09:09
Frederick C. wrote:
> Apparently rubygems and ruby packages installed via apt-get
> occasionally do weird, often slightly broken, things (like the
> inability to do rails --version)
>
> Fred

so, it's better to install from source code and compile it the gem ruby
instead of with aptitude ?

in my previous Debian Etch I had installed all from source code but got
stucked on nginx and all their dependencies, so I've installed Lenny and
all with aptitude ...

thanks,

r.
Shrikant L. (Guest)
Hello G.s,

It seems to need export path of ruby, rubygems Library.
This is just Example How to export Path:
export GEM_HOME=/usr/local/rubygems/gems
export GEM_PATH=/usr/local/rubygems/gems
export RUBYLIB=/usr/local/rubygems/lib
export PATH=/usr/local/rubygems/gems/bin:/usr/local/rubygems/bin:$PATH
Because I don't know your server environment. may be its /usr/local/
lib/ruby/ So please confirm and export that should work.
Let me know if i can help you.

Thanks-
Shrii

On Feb 2, 12:09 pm, Raimon Fs <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>
Mongeta 9. (Guest)
on 2009-02-02 10:59
Shrikant L. wrote:
> Hello G.s,
>
> It seems to need export path of ruby, rubygems Library.
> This is just Example How to export Path:
> export GEM_HOME=/usr/local/rubygems/gems
> export GEM_PATH=/usr/local/rubygems/gems
> export RUBYLIB=/usr/local/rubygems/lib
> export PATH=/usr/local/rubygems/gems/bin:/usr/local/rubygems/bin:$PATH
> Because I don't know your server environment. may be its /usr/local/
> lib/ruby/ So please confirm and export that should work.
> Let me know if i can help you.
>
> Thanks-
> Shrii
>
> On Feb 2, 12:09�pm, Raimon Fs <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>

my current paths:

debian:~# find / -name 'ruby' -print
/usr/bin/ruby
/usr/lib/ruby
/usr/share/doc/ruby
debian:~# find / -name 'rubygems' -print
/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/rubygems
debian:~#

ebian:~# find /usr/ -name 'rails' -print
/usr/bin/rails
/usr/share/rails
/usr/share/rails/railties/bin/rails
/usr/share/rails/railties/lib/rails
/usr/share/rails/railties/builtin/rails_info/rails
/usr/share/doc/rails
/usr/share/doc/rails/html/files/vendor/rails
/usr/share/doc-base/rails
/usr/share/lintian/overrides/rails

the problem was it wasn't working and now I see that my find commands
were wrong, I don't know if it was simply a path problem, so I installed
rails with aptitude and later upgraded it with gem upgrade rails

but, my initial question was about rails and not ruby or rubygems ...

thanks !

r,
Shrikant L. (Guest)
Yes, There is relation between that.
Please do only:
export GEM_HOME=/usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8

and try again, so that will export another path's.

Thanks-
Shrii
Shrikant L. (Guest)
Or, Refer
---------------------
--------------------

Thanks-
Shrii

On Feb 2, 2:37 pm, "removed_email_address@domain.invalid"
Mongeta 9. (Guest)
on 2009-02-02 11:46
ok, thanks ...

I'm going to re-install again Leny and start again ...

:-)

regards,

r.