Forum: Ruby rake db:migrate not working

Chris G. (Guest)
on 2009-01-31 19:03
I keep getting access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using
password: YES)

this is all I have in my database.yml file:
development:
  adapter: mysql
  database: devel
  user: root
  password: xxxxxx
  host: localhost
Phlip (Guest)
Chris G. wrote:

> I keep getting access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using
> password: YES)
>
> this is all I have in my database.yml file:
> development:
>   adapter: mysql
>   database: devel
>   user: root
>   password: xxxxxx
>   host: localhost

This is a Rails question (Ruby is a language) - further discussion
belongs on
Ruby on Rails Talk forum at Google G..

Run this at a command prompt:

   mysql -uroot

If you get in (very likely for out-of-the-box MySQL), then take out the
password
line in that YAML file!
Chris G. (Guest)
on 2009-01-31 19:37
Phlip wrote:

> This is a Rails question (Ruby is a language) - further discussion
> belongs on
> Ruby on Rails Talk forum at Google G..
>
> Run this at a command prompt:
>
>    mysql -uroot
>
> If you get in (very likely for out-of-the-box MySQL), then take out the
> password
> line in that YAML file!

Sorry new to ruby and rails...just learning it all. I tried that and I
get the same error, but this time it says password: NO
Phlip (Guest)
Chris G. wrote:

>>    mysql -uroot
>>
>> If you get in (very likely for out-of-the-box MySQL), then take out the
>> password
>> line in that YAML file!
>
> Sorry new to ruby and rails...just learning it all. I tried that and I
> get the same error, but this time it says password: NO

mysql -uroot -p

that means prompt for a password...

You could also reinstall mysql...
Chris G. (Guest)
on 2009-01-31 20:56
Phlip wrote:
> Chris G. wrote:
>
>>>    mysql -uroot
>>>
>>> If you get in (very likely for out-of-the-box MySQL), then take out the
>>> password
>>> line in that YAML file!
>>
>> Sorry new to ruby and rails...just learning it all. I tried that and I
>> get the same error, but this time it says password: NO
>
> mysql -uroot -p
>
> that means prompt for a password...
>
> You could also reinstall mysql...

i took out the password in the database.yml file and now it says that my
devel database is Unknown. I made sure the database is there, so I don't
know what the problem is.
Chris G. (Guest)
on 2009-02-01 01:27
>>> Sorry new to ruby and rails...just learning it all. I tried that and I
>>> get the same error, but this time it says password: NO
>>
>> mysql -uroot -p
>>
>> that means prompt for a password...
>>
>> You could also reinstall mysql...
>
> i took out the password in the database.yml file and now it says that my
> devel database is Unknown. I made sure the database is there, so I don't
> know what the problem is.

BUMP
Phlip (Guest)
Chris G. wrote:

>> i took out the password in the database.yml file and now it says that my
>> devel database is Unknown. I made sure the database is there, so I don't
>> know what the problem is.
>
> BUMP

No bump: Post a new, complete request to the Ruby on Rails Talk forum at
Google
Groups!

Make sure to tell them what 'show databases;' returns inside MySQL!