Forum: Ruby Is there any Plugins for log file analysis in ruby?

Vikas G. (Guest)
on 2009-01-31 08:55
Hello all,

Problem - 1)

         I want to retrieve some info from development.log file using
plugins.
In early stage i decided to use Regular Expression to retrieve required
data but i want to use plugin for that.
So can anyone tell me which plugins are available for analyzing(reading)
"development.log" file .

problem - 2)

how i execute the ruby program on unix's cron job utility.?
Robert K. (Guest)
On 31.01.2009 07:55, Vikas G. wrote:
> Problem - 1)
>
>          I want to retrieve some info from development.log file using
> plugins.
> In early stage i decided to use Regular Expression to retrieve required
> data but i want to use plugin for that.
> So can anyone tell me which plugins are available for analyzing(reading)
> "development.log" file .

What format is that?

> problem - 2)
>
> how i execute the ruby program on unix's cron job utility.?

Like any other program.

  robert
Andrew T. (Guest)
On Sat, Jan 31, 2009 at 8:55 AM, Vikas G. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>
wrote:

> "development.log" file .
>

> problem - 2)
>
> how i execute the ruby program on unix's cron job utility.?
> --

I wrote a blog post with a quick log file parser that might help you at
http://ramblingsonrails.com/a-rails-log-parser-to-...

If you're working with rails, you could write a rake task and call that
from
cron or just run a ruby script directly like:
* * * * * /usr/bin/ruby /path/to/your/ruby/script.rb

--
Andrew T.
http://ramblingsonrails.com

Lars H. (Guest)

> On Sat, Jan 31, 2009 at 8:55 AM, Vikas G. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
>
> > how i execute the ruby program on unix's cron job utility.?
>
> If you're working with rails, you could write a rake task and call that from
> cron or just run a ruby script directly like:
> * * * * * /usr/bin/ruby /path/to/your/ruby/script.rb

If you're running a Rake task, most of these will expect the root of
your
Rails project to be the current directory. Unless running in development
you will also want to specify the environment:

m h * * * (cd /path/to/project; RAILS_ENV=production /usr/bin/rake
my:task)

--
Lars H.

"If anyone disagrees with anything I say, I am quite prepared not only
 retract it, but also to deny under oath that I ever said it." -Tom
Lehrer