Forum: IronRuby Git push

Jim D. (Guest)
Sorry for missing the past couple of days, but I have finally pushed a
new revision to Github. As of this change (1ee05cdd), MERLIN_ROOT is no
longer required. You can now download it, get into a VS Command prompt,
and run rake compile from Merlin/Main/Languages/Ruby. Let me know if you
have problems.

Enjoy!
JD
Orion E. (Guest)
The goalposts just got moved...

http://www.ruby-lang.org/en/news/2009/01/30/ruby-1...

Apologies if this is old news.

This begs the question, is IronRuby eventually going to target 1.9?
Any ideas on when or if this might happen?
Michael L. (Guest)
Build is currently broken and it appears that MERLIN_ROOT is still
required?
Michael L. (Guest)
FWIW, the major issue seems to be
Merlin/Main/Runtime/Microsoft.Scripting/Microsoft.Scripting.Build.csproj
not
including Runtime\BindingRestrictionsHelpers.cs

On Tue, Feb 3, 2009 at 9:19 PM, Michael L.
<removed_email_address@domain.invalid
Jim D. (Guest)
I just pushed again, fixing this error. I tested before I did the merge
to master, and apparently that merge got messed up. I have tested this
version before pushing.

JD

<removed_email_address@domain.invalid<mailto:removed_email_address@domain.invalid>>
wrote:
Build is currently broken and it appears that MERLIN_ROOT is still
required?
On Fri, Jan 30, 2009 at 4:48 PM, Jim D.
wrote:

Sorry for missing the past couple of days, but I have finally pushed a
new revision to Github. As of this change (1ee05cdd), MERLIN_ROOT is no
longer required. You can now download it, get into a VS Command prompt,
and run rake compile from Merlin/Main/Languages/Ruby. Let me know if you
have problems.

Enjoy!

JD

Michael L.
IronRuby MVP
http://blog.prokrams.com
Jimmy S. (Guest)
Don't worry everyone, I'll make a I-Broke-The-Build hat and make Jim
wear it all day tomorrow. =) That's if I remember ... which is unlikely.

wrote:

Sorry for missing the past couple of days, but I have finally pushed a
new revision to Github. As of this change (1ee05cdd), MERLIN_ROOT is no
longer required. You can now download it, get into a VS Command prompt,
and run rake compile from Merlin/Main/Languages/Ruby. Let me know if you
have problems.

Enjoy!

JD

Michael L.
IronRuby MVP
http://blog.prokrams.com
Jimmy S. (Guest)
IronRuby is targeting 1.8.6 compatibility (modulo continuations) with
Ruby on Windows first. There are some Ruby 1.9 features which we have
designed IronRuby to support in future versions. This will eventually
happen, but 1.8.6 compat will need to happen first.
Nathan S. (Guest)
What are "modulo continuations"?  I've never heard that term.  I've done
very little ruby work but am interested in the topic.  I did a quick
google
and only things related to iron ruby came back when I entered modulo
continuations.

On Wed, Feb 4, 2009 at 4:28 PM, Jimmy S. <
Jim D. (Guest)
IronRuby targets 1.8.6, except for continuations. We also will have
optional support for ObjectSpace.

JD

wrote:
IronRuby is targeting 1.8.6 compatibility (modulo continuations) with
Ruby on Windows first. There are some Ruby 1.9 features which we have
designed IronRuby to support in future versions. This will eventually
happen, but 1.8.6 compat will need to happen first.
Curt H. (Guest)
"modulo" in this sense means "excluding" -- that we're not considering
the item.  Continuations are described at
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Continuation.  Implementing continuations
on top of the CLR would be pretty challenging, and (as I understand it)
they're not widely used in the Ruby community.

wrote:
IronRuby is targeting 1.8.6 compatibility (modulo continuations) with
Ruby on Windows first. There are some Ruby 1.9 features which we have
designed IronRuby to support in future versions. This will eventually
happen, but 1.8.6 compat will need to happen first.
Nathan S. (Guest)
Hah, I've never heard modulo used in any sense except "1 % 6".  Learn
something new everyday.  Thanks guys.