Forum: RSpec OK... What is ... fu ?

James B. (Guest)
on 2009-01-30 16:49
Pardon my ignorance, but exactly what does _fu mean WRT Ruby plugins,
gems and such?

I have run across this suffix a number of times in Ruby and Rails,
always in connection with some add-on or extension.  In the original
context that I encountered '_fu' I inferred that it probably stood for
file upload.  However, its widespread use in other contexts evidently
disproves this interpretation. So, does it have a meaning?  Does it
derive from the foo in foobar? Does it stand for functional update? Or,
is it an obscure cultural reference to Ruby's Japanese origins?
Stephen E. (Guest)

--
Have Fun,
   Steve E. (removed_email_address@domain.invalid)
James B. wrote:

"I have some mad kung-fu skills!"

"Oh, yeah!  I have some killer ruby-fu skills!"

Does that help? :)

-Ben
Mark W. (Guest)
On Fri, Jan 30, 2009 at 6:49 AM, James B. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>
wrote:

> Pardon my ignorance, but exactly what does _fu mean WRT Ruby plugins,
> gems and such?

Kung fu.

///ark
David C. (Guest)
On Fri, Jan 30, 2009 at 8:49 AM, James B. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>
wrote:
> Pardon my ignorance, but exactly what does _fu mean WRT Ruby plugins,
> gems and such?
>
> I have run across this suffix a number of times in Ruby and Rails,
> always in connection with some add-on or extension.  In the original
> context that I encountered '_fu' I inferred that it probably stood for
> file upload.  However, its widespread use in other contexts evidently
> disproves this interpretation. So, does it have a meaning?  Does it
> derive from the foo in foobar? Does it stand for functional update? Or,
> is it an obscure cultural reference to Ruby's Japanese origins?

http://english.peopledaily.com.cn/200601/25/eng200...
Matt W. (Guest)
On 30 Jan 2009, at 14:49, James B. wrote:

> is it an obscure cultural reference to Ruby's Japanese origins?
Think 'Kung Fu' and you're getting there. It's a bit like The Force.
Or what Robert M. Pirsig calls 'gumption'.
Chris F. (Guest)
Think Kung-Fu

It's not an abbreviation, it's a suffix that's supposed to imply a
certain
level of kick-assery

http://catb.org/jargon/html/F/suffix-fu.html
Nick H. (Guest)
On 30/01/2009, at 9:49 AM, James B. wrote:
> is it an obscure cultural reference to Ruby's Japanese origins?
I figure it means "skill", and originates from "kung-fu". So
attachment_fu would be implying "strong attachment skills". Also, I've
heard people say things like "My <something> fu is better than yours."

At least, that's my interpretation...
Yi W. (Guest)
This "Fu" you refer to is actually different than "Fu" as in "Kung-Fu".
The
fu as in kung-fu by itself, means husband. In Ancient Chinese, it also
means
wise person, such as confucius(Kong Fu Zi).
Pat N. (Guest)
Speaking as the author of a "-fu" project, I'll say that I named
acts_as_fu that way because it aids the creation of ActiveRecord
extensions, which very commonly have names starting with "acts_as" or
ending with "fu". This sort of meta-extension of that workflow means
that you can look at it in two ways: It lets you write projects that
act as "fu", or it increases your "acts_as"-fu. It's also just
obnoxious. :)

Pat
James B. (Guest)
on 2009-01-30 18:01
Mark W. wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 30, 2009 at 6:49 AM, James B. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>
> wrote:
>
>> Pardon my ignorance, but exactly what does _fu mean WRT Ruby plugins,
>> gems and such?
>>

> Kung fu.

Ah... Thanks.  I understand the reference now. My own martial arts
training leans more to FN than FU so I did not make the connection.
Rick D. (Guest)
On Fri, Jan 30, 2009 at 10:06 AM, David C.

> > is it an obscure cultural reference to Ruby's Japanese origins?
>
> http://english.peopledaily.com.cn/200601/25/eng200...

And of course according to the last meaning of Fu in that article*, the
technical meaning of Fu is

   Fu is having the ability to run Windows applications on Linux or OS
X.
<G>

* "Fu is having wine"

--
Rick DeNatale

Doug L. (Guest)
And of course the pinnacle of geekdom is to be known as a 'poodle', or
one
who is skilled in being skilled; a fu-fu.Damn', I appear to be posting
drunk
again ...

2009/1/30 Rick DeNatale <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>
Jonathan L. (Guest)
And of course, when spelled out, F-U, has a whole different meaning...
Mark W. (Guest)
On Sat, Jan 31, 2009 at 5:13 AM, Jonathan L.

> And of course, when spelled out, F-U, has a whole different meaning...

We just had a presentation by the developers of a Mongrel replacement
called
Fuzed.

///ark
Pat M. (Guest)
On Sat, Jan 31, 2009 at 7:38 AM, Mark W. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>
wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 31, 2009 at 5:13 AM, Jonathan L. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>
> wrote:
>>
>> And of course, when spelled out, F-U, has a whole different meaning...
>
> We just had a presentation by the developers of a Mongrel replacement called
> Fuzed.

Which, if you remember "Rails is a Ghetto," Zed did NOT like.

Pat