Forum: IronRuby progress on ironrubymvc :)

Ivan P. (Guest)
Hi
I think I can have a very basic version of ironruby mvc going over the
weekend.. that will probably be without support for things like filters
etc.
yet.. but you should be able to define a controller and actions in
ironruby.
I haven't looked at the view engine yet and I'm unclear as to which
strategy
to use because if ERB works properly then that seem like a great fit to
me
or should I keep the view engine that is in the current repository and
improve on that one iteratively

If there are more people interested in using ironruby with asp.net mvc I
do
have a good idea of what work is involved and how hard it is. There is a
fair amount of work involved that means I would need a couple of spikes
get it all going. To make the controllers work etc. I think I will have
define new descriptors that use the the ironruby infrastructure.
Does anybody know if the descriptors in the asp.net mvc framework are
currently set in stone or if they are still pretty volatile, that is the
biggest risk for the controller implementation IMHO?

Also there is a conflict between 2 types in the System namespace.
System.Func is defined in 2 places. I aliased the System.Core assembly
and
am using the type from System.Core. This does give some weird results
because apparently System.Func<>, System.Core,..,... and System.Func<>,
System.Core aren't the same when the mvc framework checks for the types
of
the parameter. Any tips to get around this? Am I doing something wrong?

I'll integrate Andrew P.' inflector to take care of pascal casing,
snake
casing and pluralisations etc. unless there are objections.

It would be good to get some kind of indication/document of what is
important from the asp.net, asp.net mvc and the ironruby teams so that I
can
take that into account when I'm coding this thing up.

Cheers
Ivan
Thibaut B. (Guest)
Hi Ivan,

will you share this on github ? That's something I will try using at
some point.

cheers,

Thibaut

On Fri, Jan 30, 2009 at 12:17 PM, Ivan Porto C.
Curt H. (Guest)
Microsoft.Scripting.Core.dll is effectively a subset of .NET 4.0's
System.Core.dll, which is why there's so much overlap in the types.  For
IronPython, we've worked around this by creating an automated process to
rename all the types from System.* to Microsoft.*.  But this doesn't
work as well for Ruby because Ruby allows for outside contributions.
Improving this situation is of definite interest to us.

This problem goes away once .NET 4.0 ships, provided IronRuby is built
against it.

Also there is a conflict between 2 types in the System namespace.
System.Func is defined in 2 places. I aliased the System.Core assembly
and am using the type from System.Core. This does give some weird
results because apparently System.Func<>, System.Core,..,... and
System.Func<>, System.Core aren't the same when the mvc framework checks
for the types of the parameter. Any tips to get around this? Am I doing
something wrong?

<snip>

Cheers
Ivan
Ivan P. (Guest)
I will as soon as there is something to show ;).. if you want to help..
you
can contact me on IM and I'll start pushing my commits.

For GTalk you can use this email address
---
Ivan Porto C.
GSM: +32.486.787.582
Blog: http://flanders.co.nz
Twitter: http://twitter.com/casualjim

On Fri, Jan 30, 2009 at 1:50 PM, Thibaut Barrère
Jimmy S. (Guest)
Did you fork my ironrubymvc project? If so, i'd love to pull any changes
you made into it. However, it sounds like you got it to the state it was
in before, just updating the ironruby bits? That
System.Func/Action<http://System.Func/Action> clash is a known issue; my
suggested work-around for now is to not have ironrubymvc depend on
system.core.

I'll get on phil to merge his changes as well, and then well have a
up-to-date mvc integration :)

~Jimmy
Sent from my phone

On Jan 30, 2009, at 3:55 AM, "Ivan Porto C."
<removed_email_address@domain.invalid<mailto:removed_email_address@domain.invalid>>
wrote:

Hi

I think I can have a very basic version of ironruby mvc going over the
weekend.. that will probably be without support for things like filters
etc. yet.. but you should be able to define a controller and actions in
ironruby.
I haven't looked at the view engine yet and I'm unclear as to which
strategy to use because if ERB works properly then that seem like a
great fit to me or should I keep the view engine that is in the current
repository and improve on that one iteratively

If there are more people interested in using ironruby with
asp.net<http://asp.net> mvc I do have a good idea of what work is
involved and how hard it is. There is a fair amount of work involved
that means I would need a couple of spikes to get it all going. To make
the controllers work etc. I think I will have to define new descriptors
that use the the ironruby infrastructure.
Does anybody know if the descriptors in the asp.net<http://asp.net> mvc

important from the asp.net<http://asp.net>, asp.net<http://asp.net> mvc
and the ironruby teams so that I can take that into account when I'm
coding this thing up.

Cheers
Ivan
Yep I forked your project. I don't have it running yet.. and i did get
the
source code of the asp.net mvc RC1.
Indeed my first goal was to take it to the state it was before.. i think
that is the most basic implementation possible. When that works I did
want
to flesh it out so that it knows how to handle urls with other
characters
than just alphanumeric.

I'm also thinking to replace the custom attributes with class methods
like I
rails uses for filters etc.

---
Ivan Porto C.
GSM: +32.486.787.582
Blog: http://flanders.co.nz
Twitter: http://twitter.com/casualjim

On Fri, Jan 30, 2009 at 6:37 PM, Jimmy S. <
Ivan P. (Guest)
I just checked in a somewhat working implementation of asp.net mvc and
IronRuby.
It is also much faster than I expected. There is no support for filters
and
the likes yet but you should be able to define controllers.
It should also be able to recognize controller actions and controller
files
by using underscored notation or pascal casing.